Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Rock Star, 2MuchXS For Making The Band or an Idol

I'm embroiled in watching "Rock Star INXS," the new rock reality monster. A few months ago I was tuned to "Making the Band,"
P Diddy's reality music show.
I have a slight problem with "American Idol," ( no, make that, I have a huge problem with it !) For many years, I've watched in absolute horror some of these shows with people all trying to live up to a crazy dream. Now I freely admit that I have that same exact dream, to be on somebody's stage performing somewhere, anywhere in the world. My problem with some of these shows are that in the process of some idiot like Simon criticizing you about a performance that you have little control over, they don't teach you anything of value to help you carry on or for that matter, move on. I realize that in Simon's case he's basically just the hard edged comic relief, sort of like Rex Reed is to the movies, and in reality there are just people who clearly have no business in music. It's OK to have the dream if you're doing your homework about being in this business, because at least you may come to a realization that you need work, or if nothing else you may need to leave your town and comfort zone in pursuit of some positive reinforcement.
Let's be real here...for some of these people vying for shots at the big time, wouldn't it make some sense to know just a little bit about some of the artists whose music you're trying to tackle ?
When I was in college I entered a talent show that I knew in 2 seconds wasn't gonna go my way, but I surprised everyone when I covered a Stevie Wonder song completely accapella including humming portions of the music and painting a vivid enough picture that even those who weren't totally familiar with song had a feel for it. Even to my amazement, I still won a prize, and turned quite a few people's heads.
The point here is that for all of you trying so desperately to make the band, learn to control YOU, first, then learn the room that you're playing in. When you conquer your fear of the room itself, the audience is yours for the taking .
Despite what anyone tells you, the lead vocalist is the focal point and the key to the door, next command the band, remember you are the captain of this ship, and it's your ocean too !!
Some of the things that I do like about the shows Making the Band and Rockstar INXS is that for the most part the people involved get to learn the things that they need to help them wake up and realize that this is first, business, then it's a show.
If you've ever heard stories about the machine which was Motown, you know that Berry Gordy hired people to polish most of the acts such as the Temptations, and the Supremes and teach them things about the business of music, there is footage out there that you can see and review.
Like it or not shows like Idol just aren't that good, too many cookie cutter standpoints of singers...( in other words, they all sound the same.), little if any originality.
If you're watching Rockstar, check out the lady named Jordis ( she's the woman with the dread locks hairdo), she, in my opinion is a real gem. She is a powerhouse of a singer who has amazing control over every aspect of her music.
Clearly, she completely knows how to work an audience, and the room, and, the band. I can tell you first hand that when the musicians are into you, they taylor their playing toward you, then you have it licked, and she does.
In the meantime, to be a rockstar just remember that too much excess will not help you make the band or be an idol...RELAX.

Support Live music today, tomorrow and always.

No comments: