Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Remembering Winston Walls

There aren't too many people that I can honestly say are larger than life, but Winston was truly among those that I could. He is up there with my Parents.
It's with a sad heart that I must relay that the great Winston Walls has left our lives. I'm told that he passed away in his sleep at his home in Florida with his wife Lucille at his side.

Winston for most of the musicians in the Kanawha valley was like our Dad. He was tough, but ever encouraging. He could make you feel your music like no one else, he just had that thing in him that set him apart from everyone else.
I can still remember vividly the day that I met him back in 1971, he just moved my soul with his playing. He was confident and he knew how to GRAB your attention. When he played that Hammond B3, he could not only bend his notes, he could break them like twigs, or make them and you, stand at attention.
He has shown me and my bandmates in the Carpenter Ants how to capture an audience, with real musicianship and not with gimmicks.
Once when we were recording our 2nd CD "Picnic With Lord," he cleared up a discrepency with us that completely changed our direction. His help with our CD became invaluable for me especially, because he made sing from my soul.
There will never be another like "Dad" for me, but I can say with distinction that we are all his sons and daughters, and in his memory we will raise West Virginia music to new heights.Winston, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you taught me. I will never forget you. Heaven will really rock now!! Rest in peace.

Be certain to pick up his CD "Boss of the B3," which features another great, his best friend Brother Jack Mc Duff, where ever you find great music. Also Winston is our special guest the Carpenter Ants CD "Picnic With the Lord."



Good night Brother
Winston Walls 2008.

1 comment:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

so sad.just sad.losing leaves a empty space until you can feel easy enough to fill that space with happy memories without the tears.