Saturday, October 23, 2010

Find The Middle

When I was young I was very over zealous at times; especially when I wanted something. Whether it was food or fun, didn't matter, I had to have it right there and then.
While visiting some friends of our family one Sunday, I was doing my usual ranting and whining, and as usual, it got on everyone's nerves.
At some point my Mother decided that she had had enough of it, and tried to warn me about doing this in front of company...all to no avail. It was in that moment that I crossed to a point of no return.
My Father took me outside and whipped me good. During that session he uttered the words that I'll remember til I'm no longer on this Earth; "be a guest and not a pest."
Herein lies the story of today's posting...
Find the middle.
I learned a very valid lesson that day which I hope serves me at this stage of my life.
Sometime in the quest to further oneself in their chosen field (mine of course is music...) we can become over zealous, and forget that there are many layers of work that need to be done to get where we're going.
You need a balance of belief in yourself, you need the belief of others, you need to be prepared, and you need to be a bit lucky. All of those systems have to find the middle, and when they do (as well as if they do...) you'll find that you can face so much more joy.
For musicians we could enjoy the freedom to express ourselves our way. For the fan, they can feel connected to us thereby creating a following, which falls in the category of belief from others. For the people who could possibly fund that dream, they could feel as though their monies are well spent. See, we're all coming to the same corner.
It's very sad to me when fans go out of their way to help us and we turn a blind eye toward them. Not only does it create a completely bad vibe, but it undermines and jeopardizes your efforts to have people come through those doors, and fill up those seats to hear you.
Water is a necessary element to make flowers bloom, when a drop hits a petal, that's when they have found the middle. One does not exist without the other.
So remember always what my Dad said, and don't get yourself whipped by life. Walk slowly, speak softly, but earnestly, raise your water can up and water your flower. Sit your water can down, relax and love what you helped to create.
My friends, go out and find the middle.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

3 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

wonderful thoughts!

rebecca said...

That's great advice! It's so good to hear from you, too. I hope you are well.

libco said...

Nicely said. And its nice to see you blogging more often.