Monday, February 13, 2012

Real or Imagined

I'm just really saddened by the news today of the passing of Whitney Houston.
I know that she is the product of a much younger generation than mine, but as a parent and a musician, truth is, they don't often come down the pike like she did.
As many know, in recent years our sister Whitney went into serious decline from the public eye, and I'm certain that it must have hurt her to a degree to see her light fade in the way that it had. The struggle to stay well is a very hard fought one for many (believe me, I battled for years...), and it's especially difficult when you have to endure that struggle publicly.
Despite the rugged path, I had very high hopes for her,and I wished her well. Whitney always reminded me of a neighborhood girl who you know at heart was really a good soul, but when she got around certain elements they would lead her down a dark path, and much to your chagrin she would willingly follow.
Everyone of us should learn a valuable lesson here...be leaders and not followers. Demons are everywhere among us ready to take us down. If you can't lead then at least be mindful of those that you follow, and be certain that they are the right type of people to lead you.
In a span of a few weeks we've lost some of out greatest treasures from Don Cornelius and Etta James to Clarence Clemmons. It has been a blow to our musical psyches.
Real or imagined the world does spin, and in it's wake we encounter people like these who touch and enrich our lives, their music has given us hope and warmth, it has brightened our darkest days and provided us with a means to keep on.
So in their spirit and in the words of Whitney Houston always remember that I will always love you.
Whitney E.Houston 1963-2012
Goodnight Sister

No comments: