Wednesday, October 24, 2012

INK (It's Not Kool)

I was watching Nightline this evening and I heard yet another tragic story about a youngster taking their own life because of being bullied.
As I listened, I was reminded that death has hit home for me in this way as well. My wife took her life two years ago. I listened and I cried and I sobbed, it just does not make sense to me why the practice of bullying seems to be cool thing to so many people.
Like many, I've had my share of being pushed around when I was young, but I learned to fight back, and as I got older I learned to do this with my words rather than my fists. Today I feel like I can handle most situations where I feel intimadated. A firm hold of my faith has been one way to deal with this.
The problem is that for many of our young people, they don't have these coping mechanisms. So I'm proposing a possible solution: I am asking every musician young, old, famous, not famous to help me to start a campaign to put and end to this practice.So many youngsters look up to us in the music world, and I feel as though we have the power to help this come about.
I will be petitioning all musicians to write songs about it or when we do our shows to address this issue.
We have seen how music has helped in all times of strife, and this time is no different. In fact it is epidemic.
We must stand together with our young people and show them that we take their cries seriously. When they take their lives it hurts us too.If you follow Twiter the hashtag will be #INK (It's Not Kool). If you follow Facebook or any other media, please pass the word to to all musicians.
It is beyond time to end this war against our children, Stand up for them. Life has enough challenges on its own without people pushing each other around. You may think it's fun but believe me, it's not kool.

No comments: