Thursday, August 10, 2006

Musician's Etiquette

As with many things,music can sometimes get so deeply into your soul that you feel compelled to dance, or move. Sometimes the spirit moves you so much that you could jump right up on stage and start grooving with the musicians doing their job.
Well unfortunately, I have seen that aspect happen once too often, and I decided maybe I should tackle this subject a little...since in reality, it's sort of a sore spot for some musicians.
In a nightclub setting, the musicians are there for one purpose, to excite a crowd into feeling their music which in turn hopefully earns them fans, and/or fame (and all that goes with it...).
Many times there are other musicians in the audience who as fans or spectators can feel the music just like the audience members, and they get the notion to jump up on stage and join in.
I hate to be the one to break this to you...but it's not cool to do that !!
Quantifying my statement here, I need you to understand that mostly all musicians share the same dream...to make it big in this business. The thing that makes jumping up on stage a bad thing is that in fact it is better to be invited up by the musicians on stage, because it shows a respect for their show for one thing and a respect for them as artists.
There are so many musicians who I truly admire, and their music really moves me, but unless I'm invited to the stage I sit in the audience and just try to learn from them, go home after my experience and practice on my own, their music.
I always have to try and realize that so many musicians want to be with great bands that oftentimes they will do almost anything to be a part of it.
Buying drinks for certain band members (or the band...), trying to hang around them etc.Well, the reality is that some of you (myself included) need to work on being better musicians and making your presentations in your own situations viable enough to get you noticed by everyone. This in turn will hopefully lead you to getting the notice from other musicians who will then invite you happily to their stage.
It's just a bit of musician's etiquette, but it makes your desire to be in the business a more palpable one, because you're taking time to 1.make yourself a more effective musician, and 2.shows that you have some true integrity as a musician...being patient will garner you more recogniton.
Just remember the old addage...if you want to capture someone's attention, whisper.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

6 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

Just remember the old addage...if you want to capture someone's attention, whisper.


oh, that has such truth to it!

Charlie Tee said...

Hiya Sher, my Mom used to say that to me all the time, and I've found it to be true.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

I've noticed that the public attitude toward respect (of anyone -- public speakers, teachers, performers, etc...) has gotten so lax! It's kind of sad, really. Have we, as a society, lost all class? Do we not respect people who have put so much time into a speech, a lesson, a performance...?

I went to an art lecture recently and people were talking over the artist like he wasn't even there. It was sad.

Charlie Tee said...

Hi Rebecca, it's really unfortunate that people sometimes don't even respect the fact that people are at work.
Although, in the end most people who do those kind of things, end up gettin even less respect.

Anonymous said...

"Quantify" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Charlie Tee said...

Dear anonymous, the context in which I used the term quantify, fit perfectly.Look it up...
I wasn't referring to it in the sense of logic, but as a term which means to limit.
Please feel free to debate me on it.lovingly,CT