Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Something About the Ditty

With this posting I want to clear up some mis-conceptions about a form of music and how negative comments about that form seem to always surface at the most inopportune times...the form of music that I'm talking about is called a "Ditty."
By definition, a ditty is a simple song, or a simple poem meant to be sung as a song.
There are a few of these that come to my mind, "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny,Yellow Polka Dot Bikini," "Alley Oop,"and " The Streak," are just a few of the hundreds, literally thousands of songs out there like them, and often times, the artists who composed them have endured ridicule, as well as being the brunt of many jokes...good bad and indifferent.
My reasons for tackling this subject is that over the weekend the Carpenter Ants played a gig in Shelby, North Carolina. It was a beautiful day for a drive, and we set out with intention to have fun and bring some good music to the nice folks of this town...and by most accounts we did.
If you have been listening to the Ants of the last several years, you know that we have fun by the barrel full. As the lead vocalist and frontman, it's sort of my job to tie our music together and set it forth to the masses. I try to do this with a combination of musicianship, interacting with the audience, and just plainly having fun with what I do.
Take it or leave it, love it or hate it, I have used our music to entertain, enthrall, enlighten, educate and edify our audiences. Sometimes I hit the mark, and sometimes, try as I may I don't get near first base with people.
One of the songs that we recently started doing is called "The Sausage Song," it's a fun romp of a song about reversal of the battle of the sexes. It also turns the tide on men thinking that we can have our way with women. The song is a ditty, although when we set the song up, we poke fun by saying that it's a "hillbilly polka." The song is not intended to offend anyone, but as stated above merely intended to poke fun.
So imagine my complete surprise when a lady at one of the gigs on Saturday told me that "God would be very mad with me for singing that song." When I told her that I understood how she felt, she then says, "you understand, but do you agree ?"
Truth is not only do I not understand, I don't agree either. The song is just a ditty, remember, a simple song. It's not meant to be the greatest story ever told.
That comment by her, and a comment that I got here on a recent blog posting got me thinking...is there something about the ditty ?
Why is it that when these songs surface, there arises such controversy ? Could we be taking ourselves so seriously that we've completely forgotten how to have a laugh ?
I'm almost afraid to know the answer to this, given the hostility with which this woman cursed me to my Lord.
I guess the only recourse that I have is to tell this lady, on one hand, that I'm sorry that she was offended, but on the other hand, madam, get a grip !! To condemn me for trying to entertain you, is like condemning me because I'm Black; it's just foolish, especially in this day and age.
Now that doesn't mean that I'm in favor everything that is un-godly, but surely you know the difference between being preached to, and following in the way of Satan. If you look inside my heart and understand my actions, you'd easily see that I'm not trying to offend anyone.
Did I arrive at your station with any hostility ? Did I not try to shake a hand and make a friend ?
Of course not, so why not try your best to see the humor in what I'm saying, and let God sort out for himself those who are saints and those who are sinners.
We all need to lighten up just a bit in the world. If we're so bent on ridding ourselves of Satan, one of the best ways that I can think of, is to learn to respect each other, and learn the difference between a simple song, and one that espouses hatred, and loathing.
So madam streak on down the alley... oops, in your itsy bitsy teeny weeny, yellow polka dot bikini.
I know, I'm so bad, dang me, ya oughta take a rope 'n' hang me, high from the highest tree...
I can't help myself, there's just something about the ditty.
signed, lovingly, A-hab, the A-rab.

With all due respect to Paul Vance, and Ray Stevens
(the authors of the above mentioned songs.).

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

9 comments:

QUASAR9 said...

And let me see if a little ditty
I can here place & leave for thee
play into the night in this City
night lights twinkling so pretty
and maybe play "Play for me Misty"
playing saxophone in the big City

Sherry Pasquarello said...

right on charlie!

some people are so joyless and i do believe they would be joyless no matter their religious belifs or if they had none.

tho, i'm sure they
relish having their interpretation of their holy book
" vindicate" and "sanctify" their mean spirit and judgemental attitudes.

those are the people that just suck all the joy from a room just by walking into one and looking around, like a black hole in space!

i say, phooey! i like the song, in fact i have quite a few of the old blusey double meaning songs which are far more suggestive but they are clever and fun and i think carry some truth in them.

life is short and generally has too many sorrows not to gave or recieve a few lighthearted moments.

cranky lady. boo to her!

MsJamie said...

I think people that presume to judge others are the one who really make God mad.

Charlie Tee said...

You are all right, but part of me feels for people like her, mainly because, if she had such a hard time with this one song, the rest of her life can't be too good either.
Still, I try to be respectful of people like her because at the end of the day only God will tell us who is right...or wrong.
Hope all of you are doing well.
love,CT

msliberty said...

"Support Live Music"

I say "Amen."

Anonymous said...

hey CHARLIE

love your rant on "Sausage"...you are a GOOD writer, my man...always a treat to read your thinking...

big hug
dd

toddburge said...

Well Charlie,
You probably know, I can relate...
Right on and amen.

These lyrics have been getting me some looks lately.. (see below)
And I enjoy it...
Love
Todd
She Looks Up To Me (Because She Has To)


She looks up to me because she has to
It’s simple so I’ll tell it to you simply
A sun has come and burned my shade away from blue
Because, she looks up to me because she has to

Now she’s a bit weak in the knees
My brain is big and her brain is so tiny
She’d never say, but I’ll bet she thinks of me as Big Daddy, it’s true
She looks up to me because she has to

I tower over her in many ways
I’m the man of this house there’s just no doubt
I carry her weight and put her in her place
Then look down on her and smile in her face

Now she’s telling me she needs a change
She’s screamin’ and cryin’ like a little baby
When you’re twelve weeks old, you communicate that way, it’s true
She looks up to me because she has to

Charlie Tee said...

Hi Todd, yeah, I'm sure you get some pretty strange, and puzzled looks from folks,and that is sad because the persona of the song is not your persona. People need to see you with Miss Leesee one time to know just how strong your love is.But alas, some folks never get off the page...sad.very sad.
Love to the family from me.

Charlie Tee said...

Todd, great lyrics, byt the way...