Saturday, March 24, 2007

My Beloved Bronx

YAAAAAAYYYY !!!! I'm finally getting to go home to my beloved Bronx...
I haven't been home in 7 years, and it is all I can think about. This is such an irony for me, because for so long I felt so out of place in New York. In a city that never sleeps, I felt restless and very useless.
I'm sure to a large degree this was of my own doing, because I didn't always try to find the joy in my being there. Sure I was striving like everyone else, but to me it was a big deal trying to make it in music. With all of the people I know, I never really found my place. I did make lots of friends though, but more often than not those friendships turned out to be more superfical than anything else. My closest friends though did everything to push me forward, and put me into peoples' conciousness. My 3 best friends Abdul Rashid, Charisse Campbell, and Angela Sabarese all gave me the best advice, and a shoulder to cry on whenever I needed it (and they did so without conditions).
Each of them played very different roles from each other in trying to see me through.
Abdul Rashid taught me about sprituality, and the true meaning of letting go and letting God. Charisse taught me the real meaning of friendship, and the purpose of seeing women as women and not little girls.
Angela, was just my musical muse, the female version of me. she taught me about being Bronx tough, and seeing that connection in my music, and using it to set myself above the pack.
Most of the people that I now deal with here in West Virginia see my energy and my drive, and constantly spur me on in the public eye. The Carpenter Ants, Amy Bowe, and Yvonne Brown all have played the exact same role here, as my friends in New York did.
If you're striving in anything, any area of life, music or otherwise, surround yourself with the kind of people that will give you love or swift kick in the pants when you need it.
The lesson that I learned is,that you can not run away from your past, but you need to embrace it as an experience that will help you in your life. It will as they say, make you or break you.
I now see the good fortune in being from the Bronx, and I don't cower away from it anymore. I don't think that I'm better than anyone else, but being from my beloved Bronx has placed me a cut above the rest when it comes to my goals. Hopefully for you, you'll embrace your home, and realize that it's more than just a comfort zone...it's a place to give shape to your dreams.
Badda bing, badda boom, from the Bronx baby to you.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

1 comment: