Monday, April 28, 2008

Great Minds

I ran into an ex- in law early this morning, and was quite suprised to see that he had fallen on some fairly hard times. His health has become very poor in fact.
While I had the strong urge to rub in his face how he used to treat me, I decided that it would be more civil of me to leave things as they are, and also offer him my help to his vehicle after our respective appointments.
During the days when we were relatives, quite often I had heard how much he bad-mouthed me behind my back (...and at some point, even to my face). Although this angered me often, I told those who would tell me these things that I would be bigger than that, and not stoop to his level by countering his attacks.
Often I would say that "I'll let God take care of it," and he would get his one day. "
It was quite sad, I never measured up to him or his family, and even though he never once sat down and talked to me to determine the type of person I am, he judged me anyway.
A phrase came to my mind when I saw him today: Life is designed to teach you what you should have learned in life.
You see, I could have easily let him get me down all those years ago,yet, I kept my head held high, I continued playing music ( I now have 4 CD's to my credit) I still have a wonderful job (in which I'm a supervisor...), I'm married 10 years (...and counting) I still have the love and respect of my true friends (counting there too !!!), and most of all, I'm still keeping my eyes on the prize.
Now I look at him and realize that I can sleep at night because I'm not haunted by how viciously I've treated people.
More importantly I have come to truly realize that great minds have aims,while little minds have wishes.
None the less I wish him good health.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

2 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i think that's the way to go.

fate try to teach us lessons and each lesson we ignore only becomes a harsher lesson next time.

his lesson is harsh. maybe he will learn what you already know.

Charlie Tee said...

I love the way you put things...