Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Carpenter Ants





These are my bandmates: from the left: Ted Harrison ( bass and vocals), Charlie Tee (lead vocals and saxophone), Michael Lipton (guitar and vocals, and James "Jupiter" Little (drums and vocals).

For 24 years now, these guys have been going at it entertaining and enthralling many with our music. I have been lucky enough to be a part of them for 18 years and counting now.
There's a saying that says sometimes bands are better than marriages ( and they last longer...). I don't know how true that statement is, but I know that I have deep love for my brothers that is almost as deep as my marriage.
When I lived in New York, for years I tried to put together similar situations with musicians that I thought were great, but the one thing that mostly all of those people lacked was a drive that kept us together.
Like most brothers, at times we've had our differences, but the respect that each of has brought to the table seems to transcend every arguement. To me the Ants are the best band that I've ever played in, and believe me, I've been in many.
Michael is just a great guitar player who has made us all step up our game. he's one of the best on the spot arrangers that I've ever known, and when his mind goes to work it's all over for me. I just start moving. Jupie can make me laugh without even trying hard and his voice is phenomenal to me. Although I get most of the credit for being the singer, Jupiter really is the better singer of the 2 of us. Generally these days, he plays using just one snare drum, but what he does with it still rocks.
Ted, as I've written and stated on other occasions reminds me of a cross between James Jamerson and Chuck Rainey ( 2 of the best studio players...). Theo as we affectionately call him, is our shy side, that is until you start talking Detroit Tigers or West Virginia University football, then you'll be greatly surprised at his vast knowledge of a great many things. Theo in reality is my little brother ( the one I always wished for at least...)
It's really hard for me to put into this forum how much these guys have meant to my life, how much they've added to my musical palatte, but what I will say is that I may not be able to put into words, but come and see us live and experience what I've been privy to for 18 years.
It has been life changing for me, and one show is all you need to convince you the same way.
Come see us soon, won't you.
You can check us out on the web at the following places:
http://www.youtube.com/carpenterants:  Carpenter Ants at the Acoustic Coffee House


Support Live music today tomorrow and always

No comments: