Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fork, Knife and Spoon

Recently, I ran into a friend who was once a really good musician. As things happen, he at some point gave up his dream of playing, and began ernestly working full time at a "regular" job.
It always made me kinda sad because, I knew that given the right set of circumstances, plus a little bit of diligence on his part would have allowed him to stay in the game...but as the saying goes, some things are just not meant to be.
Anyway, the evening that I saw him last, he was at the club, and he was sitting with another gentleman and lady, whom I did not know...at first.
As we all sat there chatting, the "gentleman" began regalling me with stories of where he's from, and what he's now doing here in town. He explained that he was from another country originally, but has lived here in the U.S. for quite some time now, and that prior to this he resided in Canada.
More small talk than anything, but it was leading up to the big question."So Charlie, what do you do? When I told him that I was the lead singer in the bad that would be appearing later (...here it comes, folks), his ears perked up, and now he begins to tell me that he is a great singer, and that he knows every Motown song ever written, and that he also plays the guitar probably better than my guitar player (someone he has not only even heard before, but also doesn't even know), and that he can surely out sing me.
Now let's get one thing straight right here and now. I don't consider myself in any way shape or form to be the greateast singer who ever lived, but I will say that I have worked damn hard at being effecient with what I do have. I've worked my ass off to be the kind of entertainer overall that would try to make an audience of one or one million have a great night of music, and feel as though their time spent coming to see me and my band was well worth it. We may not always hit the mark, but doggone it we've tried.
At this point, I truly felt sorry for my friend who not only had to sit through this crap, but also got roped into a false hope of starting a band with this guy. My friend actually believed that this guy was gonna do something worthwhile with him.
Call me a skeptic, or maybe even a cynic, but if my friend was foolish enough to fall for that garbage,then he didn't need to play anymore.
I'm sorry, but there are real people out there chasing real dreams, and are doing real work at achiving those dreams. I'm not one to step on anybody's dream, but I do know the difference between that and the nightmare I saw coming my friends way.
For all of my fellow musicians and for that matter, anyone in any profession, when man speak with forked tongue, grab your knife, cut it off, and spoon it to the trash.
Watch who you deal with, your time is too valuable to waste on fools with pie in the sky. That pie is best served when you create it.
By the way, after other musicians arrived at the club that evening, "Mr.Wonderful " was seen for who he really is and left the building. No one has seen him since.
At this point, I don't need to say anything else...do I.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

2 comments:

larry digs charlie t said...

that's a great story charlie...and some real good advice!

every time i've seen the carpenter ants i feel like yall are giving 100%...every time. keep rockin'!!

libco said...

I always wonder about people who feel the need to "best" you at everything you bring up.