Saturday, August 27, 2005

Losing Toni...

It seems almost like the last few weeks have been desparate and desolate for me, with folks passing away, things changing, etc. Now comes word of an event for me that will be so traumatic that I'm not quite sure what to do.
Not too long from now I'm going to be losing Toni. Our boss Toni Blessing is leaving our library branch to take a position in the Charleston Library (our main branch).
While I'm certainly happy for her as she deserves everything wonderful, I am absolutely crushed. Toni has been our cheerleader, our mentor, our Oprah Winfrey, she has empowered us to be our best, and she has been a leader without peer.
I've worked for this wonderful library system for 12 years, and I sincerely love all of my co-workers (throughout the system), but none have had the affect on me like Toni. When she came into my life, it truly felt like a weight was being lifted off of me and my co-workers at the St.Albans branch.
For the better part of a year we were without a branch manager (one manager retired, and the woman who replaced her became ill shortly after she took over ), then came word that we were to get Toni Blessing from the Riverside Branch. Not too long after we got official word, one of my good friends who worked for her called me at home and cried her eyes out because Toni was leaving.At the time I sort of teased her and said that no one is that effective...well, now I'm crying (...and it takes alot to do that to me).
It's really easy to tell people to get on with their lives, get over your hurts, grow up, but when you have a friend that believes in you and all that you do you don't want to give them up, and although I will move on, losing Toni will create a huge void in my heart.
For those who read this post and wonder how it relates to my music, please read my post entitled "Carpenter Ants 0- Life 22 (Wednesday)" written in March of this year.

I know that she will not want any fanfare at her departure, but I will give her some here (hey, it's my blog)...
Toni Lee Blessing, thank you for being the best leader/ friend / sister/ boss/ cheerleader/ prime motivator that a guy from the Bronx could have asked for. I wish you good luck always, and you damn well better keep in touch.
I love you dearly...

This post is dedicated to all of my coworkers in the great Kanawha County Public Library system, the most talented group of people on the face of the Earth.

Support Live music today tomorrow, and always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A 3/16/06 thank you from Shelly ... God gives us the people, tools, words of encouragement we need when we most need them ...