Sunday, August 28, 2005

Welcome To Your New Life

With thanks to singer Joe Rathbone for the title...

Yesterday, I left work early to make a long trip by myself to meet my bandmates outside Lewisburg WV.We were playing a wedding; and not just any wedding, but the serious nuptuals of Joshua and Joanna Hardy (more on them in a minute).
Other than playing at the Vandalia Lounge here in Charleston, gigs for us have been for the most part fairly mundane. A big factor here is that people get the point of what we do. If they don't, then the experience of the Carpenter Ants show is generally lost on them.
All that leading to this beautiful wedding and the stupendous party afterward.
When I arrived at the location the very first thing that I noticed was mud. The event was held outside and it had rained and rained and rained a few days before and yesterday making the ground one swilly marshy mess. In short order I pulled my car across the bridge was told to go around a tree to get to the tent and I got stuck in mud up to the base of the car door...AHHHHHH !!!
I now get out and I get mud all over my shoes, and in an absolute first for me...I didn't get angry...there was too positive a vibe to worry about my shoes.
Anyway the event gets started and we introduce the happy couple with their song "Come Rain Or Shine." Believe me it was only just beginning to take shape. During the week we had not had a chance to learn the song like we normally would, so there was concern on my part for doing it, but as always my band steps up to the plate and delivers (I told you, I'm playing with the Yankees !!)
Now this party kicks in and in nothing flat throngs of people are out on the floor dancing, having the time of their lives and partying like their lives depended on it.
When I tell you people were losing their inhibitions and letting the music set them free, this band was on fire and the people kept the flames fanned, and baby it spread everwhere.
At some point then,we took a break to eat. Well, here is a story in and of itself, on how unbelievably great the food was...by golly they even had a chocolatier to handle the desserts !!At that point, I could have possibly died and gone to Heaven, the food was that good, and there was enough to feed a small army.
Now back to the action...all evening long the word was fun x's 3, if there was anyone in attendance who didn't have a good time, I never laid eyes on them.
The song that we normally use as our wedding song is entitled "That's How Strong My Love Is," by the late great Otis Redding. I really like using that song because I get the audience involved by having them sing it along with us to the happy couple.On this occasion, Joanna was so moved by everyone singing to her that she broke down and cried. I have to say that in all of the years that I've been a Carpenter Ant, this one truly touched me, as she even caused Josh to cry...a spiritual moment indeed.
Somewhere along the way I looked at my watch and saw that the time read 11:22pm, and I realized that we had been playing since 6pm, and we didn't even care, now that's what I call a party folks !!
In all I'd say that by far this was one of the best (no, I'll be real...THE best )gigs that we have ever done, and as Michael said to me later, "it made us feel completely validated."

To the new Mr. and Mrs. Hardy, on belhalf of the Carpenter Ants and everyone in attendance I would like to say welcome to your new life, may it be as beautiful as your wedding. May Allah bless you with the light of love even when there is darkness. Thank you for sharing your day with us all.

If you want to know the funny story (it's funny now) about Joanna and Josh, read my blogpost entitled "A Wild and Crazy Farewell," written in May of this year.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always...and find true love in the process.

No comments: