Saturday, November 19, 2005

Playing With Fire...

Most of the time when I hear that term, playing with fire, I think that someone is trying to tell me that if I fool around in uncertain territory that I'll find myself in trouble of some sort. While there may be some truth to that, the fire of which I'm referring is the kind where being in a musical situation is so great that is defies words.
Lately, the Carpenter Ants have not only been on fire but also, playing out of this world.
I've felt the need to acknowledge my band mates and give them some much needed praise, and invite you to our world to experience it too.
A while ago, our drummer Jupiter Little gave up cigarettes, followed by also giving up alcohol altogether... not even a beer. Jupie, had a marvelous voice to begin with, and now that he is smoke free, omigodddd!! This man is killing me his vocals are so good, and his drumming standpoint really has taken off to the ionosphere. I'm really proud of him for his accomplishments.
Ted Harrison is starting to really feel his bass, and he's laying down some bottom licks that just blow me out of the water, he's even starting to dance a little bit , not that he ever just stood around, but the music is taking him somewhere special, and he's up for the journey.
What can I say about our leader Michael Lipton, he's just my musical hero period. Mike can spur me like no one else, when he hits those amazing notes on that Fender guitar I'm just gone. It can be subtle like he does on songs like "Helpless," or it can be razor sharp like on "For What It's Worth," or even still it can be down and dirty like on "Hush On Hush."
I am so unbelievably lucky to have found a home with these musicians. So many people look for a lifetime to find friends like these in regular life let alone a musical one. When I was living at home in New York, I used to get so upset because it seemed like all the folks that I was meeting (with the exception of a few) just weren't serious about doing anything with their music beyond being mediocre. Those of us who were really trying hard were in such a minority that you could almost liken it to slavery, you just wanted to escape the madness.
To be sure, I miss my hometown alot, but I have found the peace of mind that I sought here and I have found musical like minds in so many of the people here and I just want you to know that while I'm playing with fire, for this, I'll love getting burned.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back! I really enjoy your thoughts. Good luck on your new adventures!