Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Rest and Relaxation

It's my own fault, and my Wife gives me Hell about it often, but I don't get enough rest.Between my regular work at the library and playing music with the Ants, I just burn the candle at both ends and in the middle.
Today I feel like absolute Hell, like I got run over by the subway, all 10 cars of the IRT (it's a New York thing...).
My problem is that I'm so driven that I forget that I gotta stop now and then and just simply relax.
This past Thanksgiving weekend I overdid it. I worked at the library Friday got off at 5pm,went home, fooled around without resting, then went to play at a nightclub that night.Played there til the wee hours, came home and instead of going directly to bed I fooled around on my computer before finally settling in at 6:30am, only to have to rise again at 8 to get to work by 9am.
After that entire day, I left and drove to Lewisburg to play at a party.
I didn't allow for proper rest and I paid the ultimate price for me...NO VOICE, well just barely.
If you know me even a little bit you know that I was embarrased beyond measure to not be able to perform; yes, it means that much to me.
Got minor rest on Sunday went to work Monday feeling foggy and now this. UGHHHHH !!
I want to be in the music business, but I need to remember to first and foremost be in the "my health business."
So many of us work so doggedly to achieve our goals that we forget the primary catalyst for achieving them is to rest and relax. Rest, so that your brain can capacitate the goals that are laid out in front of you, and relax, so that you can reflect on the process and thereby refine it.
I'm gonna end by paraphrasing an old saying...
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, the new one is gonna be, all work and no rest makes Jack fall over like a chimney stack.

EVERYBODY...Support Live music today tomorrow and always, and get some rest along the way.

5 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

yep, get some rest along the way and if at all possible, eat dessert first!!! honest, i just know in my bones that chocolate or any sweet should be the major group in the food pyramid. ; )

Charlie Tee said...

I agree Sherry, but I'm not big on Chocolate,plus I'm Diabetic.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh heck, that just sucks! my father is diabetic now, we have a hard time getting him to eat regular meals because he used to be a truck driver and he ate and slept odd hours. my late mother-in-law made a really great pumpkin chiffon pie for my late father-in-law (sounds awful, all dead, but they were old and had happy lives)i liked that pie better than regular, but she took the recipe with her! rest, tho, none of us are teenagers anymore, boo hiss! ; )

Sherry Pasquarello said...

back again, i stuck you on my blog (no super glue tho, ha!) please check it out and see if you'd like anything changed. thanks much. : )

Jen said...

Charlie,
Definitely get some rest! And a cup of hot tea with honey always helps me!

Speaking of chocolate...I've got some great recipes that I have been meaning to share with you. Things that you can have and that are quite tasty! Don't you just LOVE SPLENDA????

When is the next V'Lounge gig? I can't believe that I haven't made it out to one yet! sorry....I will make one soon...I promise!!