Saturday, July 22, 2006

For What Its Worth

It's about 2am, and I'm wide awake listening to the most soothing music of some people that I really admire, including the Carpenter Ants, the Spurgie Hankins band, and David Sanborn.
I'm at such a wonderful place in my life, and I wanted to tell you how much being a musician means to me.
Being a musician has given me the means to express myself, good, bad, or indifferent through song . It has allowed me to form lifelong friendships that I might not have had otherwise.
One of the reasons for that, is that I moved around quite a bit when I was younger.We lived in the North Bronx, the South Bronx, then I went to High school in Virginia.
I made friends in all of these places, but moving made it hard to maintain them.
The one thing through all of this though has been my music; as mostly everyone that I played with over the years kept in touch, and they still do. The people that I know and love here in the Charleston area are at my fingertips, and for me that is a good feeling.The people that I knew in New York and Virginia call or e-mail to see how I'm doing, and that too makes me feel good.
I know this cliche' is used alot by people, but I really do feel blessed. I think that Allah (God) has blessed me abundantly with the gift of friendship, and the gift of music.
For what its worth, I wish that everyone in the world could feel what I'm feeling right now...contentment. If we could all put on some music right now, sit back and just relax, I truly think that we would all be much more open to listening to each other.
If we could go out and catch some live music, and dance and have good time,we might just forget about trying to fight each other, and just turn to each other with love.
My little grandson called me earlier tonight and told me that he was afraid of what's going on in the world.He's afraid of the bombs, and the noise.He worries himself sick about kids his age living in the threat of war, and standing in the shadows of poverty and hunger...how the heck could I reassure him? The only thing that I could think to say to my baby boy was to turn off the TV and put on some music, and try your best not to think about it all...he did.
He called me awhile later and said "Papaw, I feel alot better, thank you."
It's all I know, but for what it's worth I do know that music, if we let it, can make us all slow down and be sane.
So for what it's worth to you, turn it on, or check it out, and let it take you elsewhere... THERE, DON'TCHA FEEL BETTER ALREADY ?

Support Live Music today tomorrow and always

3 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

music has helped me many, many times. everyone in the world has music in common, along with many other things if they would just allow themselves to think about it. it is so much harder to hate or fear if we realize we have much more in common than not. hi charlie, i too worry about my beautiful little granddaughter. i hope things are better for all children and grandchildren.
it sounds simplistic, but truly, it is harder at times, and braver, to love than hate, hate and fear are easy. love and respect and trying to get along can be difficult and in certain places and certain times even dangerous. sad.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Amen, brother Tee! I can totally relate, because art is so much the same way. And not only have I found so many friendships through art, I've learned just how closely art, theater, and music are interrelated with one another. In other words, art has helped me to enjoy music more (although I've played piano all my life... never considered myself a "musician".)

Man, I love the Carpenter Ants. I think I'm going to go dig up "God Save The Queen" just because you brought them up.

Charlie Tee said...

Don't mean to correct you...
but I think you mean Long Live The Queen!
Anyway, I have to get you our other 3...let me know where I can send them.
lovingly,CT