Friday, April 22, 2005

Sensitivity and Humility

Here's one of those life lessons that you either learn the hard way or it falls into your lap like meteor:
My bassist Ted Harrison is truly one the nicest people that I've ever known anywhere...period. I also know that that Theo has a bit of a stubborn streak (it rears its strange head ocassionally).
At rehearsal on Wednesday, Michael was playing a new song that he's been working on, and was trying to get Ted to play the bass part similar to the way he'd done it the previous week when we first attempted to work it out. Now mind you Ted is a very great bassist (in my opinion), but for a long time he played just the basics, meaning he would not be very adventurous ( his was more quiet dignity, like the great bassist Chuck Rainey); but in the last couple of years as we've began to really take off as a group he has started to come into his own, taking all kinds of chances and stretching out quite a bit... I love it. Michael on the other hand will wield his guitar like a machine gun and rip off some solos that are astounding, lyrical and just beautiful; they're just inspiring to me. He plays that way all of the time, which is one of the reasons that we've grown so much as a band. All of these things are good but at times Michael and Ted can get they're roles reversed. Here's the deal, Michael has been writing original songs for us to play. The songs have been funny, poignant, and well meaning but he is very sensitive about them mainly because he feels that he's only an average writer ( to which I say, ba-lo-ney !) .
First of all, I think if you're in a band that's trying their hardest to do something with their music, and you take the time to try and do something original more power to you.
Now I'm gonna fuss a little at Theo because although he's trying to make his playing match the excitement he feels about these songs he could be a little more sensitive to Mike when Mike is already feeling weird about his music writing abilities, and when we perform live Mike does the same thing to Ted. It's funny because their roles reverse at times depending on the situation.
I say all this to say that on the part of both of my bandmates, there needs to be a little bit of sensitivity and humility.
Please don't misunderstand me or misconstrue what I'm saying, these two guys really are brothers and they truly care about each other but they have to be more patient with each other. Ted has to not take it to heart when Mike asks him do something different, and Mike needs to understand more that all of us get lost in his playing at times...it's hard not to, so when we make mistakes don't frown, just go with the flow and hope that we'll work it out and concentrate.
I feel privileged to play music with these guys, I've learned alot, and I'm grateful that they've accepted me on my terms.
For people in any walk of life; while on your journey you need to always carry with you sensitivity and humility because if you're not humble, you'll stumble, and if you're insensitive, you'll not be inquisitive and you won't get the answers you need to fulfill your life indeed.

No comments: