Thursday, April 28, 2005

Holding Up My Mirror

Playing music in West Virginia can be a bit tricky at times. Not that there is anything wrong with the state per se' but the opportunities here for those of us in music can be few and far between. Most bands like this one generally need to venture beyond the borders to stay afloat, so that's what we do...we travel quite a bit.
For the most part we play every Wednesday at the Empty Glass, Thursday through Saturday is open for us to go to other areas, and Sunday, if there is a Mountain Stage it finds us back at the Glass that night after the show.
I don't necessarily see this as a whirlwind, but our schedule at times can be really hectic, plus the fact that we all have fairly regular jobs that we have to report to daily.
Then there are times when we don't have gigs and there isn't a soul out at the club. It's those nights that can be just as much fun as when we're playing music, because we get to just hang out and let our hair down. We don't get to be just the fellas too often, so it's kinda nice when we can kick back and chill.
Last night was like that, there weren't many people out so although we did play a little we mostly just hung out and laughed alot.
I really truly love my brothers, and it has been a life changing experience for me to be around them. I've had great friends around me all of my life, and I've been in some nice situations musically but being in the Carpenter Ants has afforded me a say so in my own destiny musically.
Over the years I was a sideman in bands, a singer, etc., but with this group I have been given an equal voice, something that's hard to do when you're just the hired help.
Another thing that has been great about this is that we've clicked as people. I mean I can hang out with any of them one on one, or we can hang out as a group.
Many bands often forget how they started out and become solo conglomerates in their own bands, with their own agents, managers, hangers on etc.
I really hope that we never lose sight of the fact that we have been in this experience together and we've set our sights on the heights, and are striving toward our goals together.
This commonplace person believes...your companions are your mirror and they show you yourself...
I like what I see.

This blog is dedicated to Michael Lipton, Ted Harrison and James "Jupiter" Little...The Carpenter Ants, thank you for 12 of the best years of my life.
This is also dedicated to Larry Groce, and Don Dixon, thank you for believing in us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

exclusive to Holding Up My Mirror bloggers from Charlie Tee .... cheap tee times http://www.e-golf.us/Last-Minute-Tee-Times.html