Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Health and Music

I can say this with definite surety...
If you don't take some measure of control of your health, not only will you not be around to play music, but also it's a safe bet that you won't even get to listen to it either. It's important to know this and to hear it from someone who knows first hand.
I'm sad to say that I once lived a drug filled life, in that I became a user (although I'm not going to futher damage myself by telling you what drugs I did) . Suffice it to say that living that exsistence did not increase my sensitivity to being a musician as I was told, but it did make for some weird forays into some strange lands ( trust me, it wasn't good...).
Today, I'm proud to say that I've been drug free for going on 30 years and during that time I've learned alot about me, and what I will and won't do for love or music or anything.
I've come to realize that nothing is more important than me living as abundant a life that I can.
Now, my biggest battle is with Diabetes which I found out I had a few years ago; but the fight is still the same... to be healthy and strong. This can be tough because I love food so I'm having to learn control and to use insulin correctly and wisely.
So many of us with dreams do crazy things in the hope that something will get us where we want to go; but as Stevie Wonder pointed out "if you believe in things that you don't understand then you suffer... superstition ain't the way."
Another thing that gives me concern is all of the abuse that people endure at the hands of other people. I'm talking about bullying, harassment, and verbal abuse. It seems to me that more so than physical health issues we are suffering grave mental health issues.
It's almost impossible any more to turn on the TV and not hear of someone, celebrity or just a regular joe who hasn't been abused, molested or just plainly treated bad.
It scares me to think that abuse is the new drug of choice for Americans, and we're scoffing it up at alarming rates, it's a bigger epidemic than crack cocaine could ever hope to be, and what's worse is that as a result it's wiping out people in untold numbers ( think about the Columbine shootings and you'll get the direction I'm going).
If ever I'm fortunate enough to become a celebrity, the things that I would like to address the most are issues of learning to be more tolerant and respectful of each other.
Yes, I'm a Black man, but don't kill me for it, I'm Muslim, but don't think me a terrorist, I'm married to a White woman, but don't think I dislike Black women, I'm fat but don't think I can't do what a thin person does.
If we learn to accept and respect, what we'll gain is the same perspective that allows us to appreciate music...people listen to music for what it suggests to their mind. The elements that make for great music are rhythm and harmony and as with anything worthwhile the way to fully comprehend is to be healthy enough to digest it...one note at a time.

1 comment:

The Pink Supervisor said...

Its not just in america. Its here too. Exploitation. Im on a youth project now which i was forced and pressured to partake in. I have been bullied into it eternally through my 'obligations'. They're trying to drain every last droplet out of me. Its not fair. I wouldnt mind if they were at least honest. Why cant people be honest anymore? Why cant people be genuine? Why cant they be themselves? I think its a very sad situation when the youth that im a part of needs to be drunk or stoned at a party... use tools to be out of their character to be 'themselves'... People, if judged at all, need to be judged for who they are. Not their race, not their age, and not their number.