Sunday, May 08, 2005

Ruth, Esther, Carmen and Virginia

I'm in my fifties now, and my Mother has been gone from my life for a few years, but everything about her is in my memory.
My Mom was a very strong woman who loved to laugh and loved life and all of its endless possiblity, first and foremost though she believed strongly in education."Learn something every semester of your life" was her constant battle cry throughout my life.
With the exception of Ted Harrison's Mother, Virginia, I wasn't fortunate enough to get to know Ruth Lipton (Michael's Mother) or Esther Little (Jupiter's Mother) but I can see the type of ladies they were in their sons. I can tell that they were also strong beautiful ladies, who were the biggest fans of their sons.
In Michael's playing I can hear the sensitive nature of his Mom and the dignity that she must have excuded. In Jupie's playing and his constant wit, I know that his Mom must have been hilariously uproarious but on her game all the time, especially when it counted most.
I did get to know and love Virginia Harrison, and I know that she raised one of the finest human beings that God ever created, for everything about Ted reflects that, his strong personality, his very sensitive nature and his absolute decency.
As you listen to our band one of the things that comes across about us is that we genuinely love to be together making music, we're fiercely independent, but we move forward in one body as we weave our way through our tunes. I like to think that pretty much all that we are as artists we owe to our first and biggest fans/ critics...our Moms, and I wanted to take this day, their day, and let the four of them know that we do remember and honor them, and even though that they are not physically with us they will always have front row seats to wherever we are, because without them there would be no music.
The thing that I've learned the most from being my Mother's son was about caring for others.
Thank you for all of our lessons,and thank you for your unconditional love.

To all Mothers everywhere thank you for all that you are to your children...

This blog is dedicated to Mrs. Ruth Lipton, to Mrs. Esther Little, to Mrs.Carmen L. Tuitt, and to Mrs.Virginia Harrison...
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

No comments: