Friday, May 20, 2005

Finding My Legs at the River's Edge.

Last night, I made a rare appearance to play music with some other folks ( I sound like some recluse, don't I ?) at the River's Edge Cafe, here in St Albans.
Jupiter Little ( the Carpenter Ants drummer) has an ongoing regular show there with guitarist Jim Snyder, and I must say that I had too much fun.
In the Carpenter Ants, since I am the lead vocalist, I don't get to play my saxophone a whole lot mainly because Michael is our principal soloist, which is fine, although I'd like to play the horn just a little bit more than I get to.
Anyway, I'm certain that when I started playing last night people in the audience were going "where the heck did they find this fool?" I hadn't played like that in so long that it was sounding terrible to me, so I know what the audience was going through.
For quite a while I just couldn't get it together...I was actually extremely nervous. At some point I started to pack my things and go home, but something told me to hang in there.
After I finally woke up, I really started feeling great and boy it was a different story after that.
When I finally found my legs, and got my act together, I cooked... I came alive and I started blowing hard like I do when I'm in my comfort zone. After that I had so much fun, I almost hated for the night to end, but when it did I got a real ego boost; a bunch of people came over and thanked me for coming and wanted to know when I was coming again...one man said, "soon I hope."
It's so nice when people appreciate what you do, not just from the standpoint of your ego, but just as a way of encouragement. Compliments go a long way in my book, and I'm always grateful that people feel comfortable enough to tell me that they like what I do.Thank you so much.

To Jupiter, Jim, Phil and Marcel thanks for a truly wonderful evening.
To the nice folks at the River's Edge Cafe thanks for supporting live music, and thank you for a great dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charlie, and thankyou for sitting in with us. You are welcome to come anytime you like. You are now considered a member of the family that we call "Jim Snyder and Friends"; and I'm thankful that, along with Robb Hamer, Jupie Little, Phil Ruby, Jack Hollywood, Marcel Lazare, Phil Martin, Stuart, Joe Clatworthy, Brian Gandee (and probably a few more that I am sure I've omitted), I now call you one of my "Friends".We do the River's Edge Cafe in St. Albans, WV almost every Thursday evening and each time is a little different because of the unique contributions from talented musicians such as yourself. Thanks to Chuck and Donnie for believing in what I do and providing me the venue to do it and to the REC Staff for their encouragement as well. And isn't the audience a great group of folks to play for? Hope you join us again soon, Jim (jimsnydermusic@netscape.net)