Sunday, May 29, 2005

Memorial Day and Music

Today is a day that regardless of politics, regardless of religious beliefs, regardless of race or gender or in fact regardless of anything we should stop for at least a moment and with our whole heart thank everyone who has served or is serving currently in the armed forces.
A great many people have lost their lives in service of this country. There are families everywhere who will never again see the faces of their loved ones, and there are families everywhere whose sons and daughters have fought for and won us the right to post weblogs, have a say in how things in this country are run, or to sit in peace at a lunch counter.
I'm the first to say that I realize that there are many things that could be better, but with hard work and real love and real patience we will get there...we will have all the things that we are desirous of.
First and foremost though we must remember that brave men and women give their all for these rights, and at the end of the day too many of them have been forgotten.
We must look to our military personnel with respect and love. We must also strive to make their jobs obsolete... that is to say that we must always seek peace first.
With my own hand, I stand and salute all veterans, and all military persons...Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart thank you.

I've added a link to a webpage to help all of us understand the history behind the song Taps, which is used at military funerals; may it help us all to remember.

This post is dedicated to Lauren P. McGuinness (my younger Sister) USN, and to Lt. Gregory Hacker, USN. Both are currently serving in the United States Navy.

To all of our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Air Force personnel, please be safe and come home soon.
I'm standing in the shadows of music, but I do so on ground that was fought for me domestically and internationally and I am grateful.

No comments: