Friday, June 03, 2005

Adventures in Country

All of you who know me know that I am a definite city kid. I mean room service, the subway, the Yankees, and everything non Green Acres.
Although, over the years that I've lived in West Virginia, I have developed a taste for some things country. This is not to say that life in the country is bad, it's really beautiful here, and I have even played with a couple of bands that are considered country.
For a good period of time I was the saxophone player in a band called County Line headed by a great frontman Darrell Ramsey, and including some phenomenal musicians John Ross, Tony Roacha, and Paul Billante' (the country Italian). Playing in the band with these guys will make you drop any misconceptions about country music.
All that has now lead me to this...this coming Saturday, the Carpenter Ants will be opening for and backing up an artist named Jeff Stevens who is originally from this area, though now living in Nashville. When I tell you this man's music is country, let me tell you that he put the "wang in twang."
As I listened to the material that he sent, I couldn't help but think that this kid from the Bronx has come a lonnnngggg way for his art. I'm certain that those who knew me in the Bronx would have real trouble with all this. Strangely enough though, I'm pretty philosophical about it all. I really do appreciate Mr. Stevens including us in his show. For all the bellyaching that I've done about being accepted in the music industry and getting recognized, here is someone who doesn't know us from a hole in the wall, but asked for good musicians to be his backup band and now here we are.
Like it or not, understand it or not, to me any victory is a victory...and I am still playing music; and who knows, while I'm on my adventures in country in a county where there aren't too many people who look like me; it does something for everyone involved ( I won't elaborate anymore on this point, but think hard and you'll see where I'm going with this).
I still feel lucky and grateful about being able to play music, and although I know that lesser men would crack, I not only have persevered, but also these experiences are leading me to my dreams.
Lastly, for all of those striving in music, remember: "learn to do one useful thing better than anybody and you'll not be out of a job."

One valuable lesson that I've learned from this is that people are people and good music speaks for itself. It would have taken me years to come to that conclusion had it not been for the help of a real friend...Darrell Ramsey, this post is for you.

No comments: