Friday, June 17, 2005

Groovin' High on the River's Edge

Once again, I'm astounded by the fun I had at the River's Edge Cafe in St.Albans...this could very well be considered the Empty Glass of the western part of the Kanawha Valley. Great food, great folks and fun in abundunce.

Before I tell you about the night let me tell you that it almost didn't start out that way, as I went into a bit of a Diabetic shock during the first set. My blood sugar started to bottom out, which could have been disastrous for me, and quite nearly was.

...OK, the scare was over, now back to the music.
Jim Snyder in the house with his friends and they went for the jugular, with me in tow on the saxophone. It was really nice to see that many people having that much fun, consistently all evening long.
My wife Vickie came and hung out, met some really cool folks and spent the evening laughing and generally enjoying the music (that means alot to me).
Jim has got a nice thing going here, no muss, no fuss just pared down uncomplicated music with great vocals and big huge fun, featuring Jupiter Little and Rob Hamer ( a great bassist, and yet another funny man) Phil Ruby and Marcel Lazare. I don't know when I last had this many laughs all evening long, the spirit there is really high.
One of the nice things about St. Albans folks is that they really support live music, and going to River's Edge is proof positive of that, the place was packed all evening, and they let their hair down for real...dancing all over the place.
Its been a long time since I've seen people waiting in serious anticipation for their music, and the joint was abuzz before it all got started, but when it did everybody even came in from out on the deck area there to hear and enjoy.
During and after the show people kept yelling with favor toward my saxophone playing, and I hope that it was better than the last time I played, because it sure felt that way.
In a recent post that I wrote about playing at the River's Edge, I said that 'compliments go a long way in my book,' speaking about how folks just thoroughly enjoyed hearing the music, and have no problem telling you so; well this time they did one better, after the show many of the patrons came over to us to shake hands, thank us profusely, and implore us to return soon...To me that is a compliment of the highest order.
They're groovin' high on the River's Edge, and if you're reading this you need to set your course for St.Albans and sail on down here on most Thursdays, you won' t be sorry.

Again, as in last time, thanks go out to Jim, Jupiter, Rob, Phil and Marcel for an action packed fun filled evening.
To the River's Edge patrons and staff you make me proud to that I've chosen to be a musician.
Last but not least to the Notorious F.A.T. (aka Jerry ) thanks for trying to look out for me when I got sick...the bus is waiting and the tour starts soon.

The River's Edge Cafe
212 Main St
St. Albans WV 25177
(304) 722-6320

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

charlie,
reading reviews of jam sessions in st albans is making me homesick...... I use to play with jim and jack hollywood down there all the time...... i have some great musical memorys there. i really enjoy keeping in touch with the scene thru you.... THANK YOU MY FRIEND.
Much love
David