Friday, June 24, 2005

Something About St.Albans

Now I'm the first to admit that being from a large city is not all that it's cracked up to be.There's serious crime, unreal congestion, and the list grows everyday. Living in small town America can equally be as frustrating but the bottom line is that it is smaller.
I went to high school, not in my home city of New York, but rather in as small a town as you can get. I went to the only all Black military school in the world, St.Emma Military Academy in Powhatan VA. The day before my parents and my Sister and I left to go on my new adventure, my Father sat me down in my bedroom and gave me some advice that I'm still very happy to have and use today. He said "before you go thinking that because you're from New York, that you are one iota better than anyone from down there, think again. The only difference between you and anybody from Powhatan Virginia is that where you came from is larger, but you are no better than anybody, treat everybody that you meet with respect, and you'll be surprised at how many friends you'll have at the end of the day."
Wisdom indeed that I've used daily in my life.
The overall theme here was learn to love, like and or respect people, no matter where they're from.
Living here in St Albans has taught me about fortuitousness and real love. The community here just at times overwhelms me by how much they care...about everything.
Last night at the River's Edge Cafe, Jim Snyder and company held court, and the crowd in attendance was jubilant to say the least. Everybody there was simply in a great mood.
Over the last month or so I've been showing up and sitting in with the fellas, and they are as accommodating as possible.
I came to a realization last night that I want to share with you: there is something about St Albans... something uniquely wonderful. During these few weeks of hanging out I've gotten a dose of hospitality from these folks that if it were a drug, I'd be stoned forever !!!
It's taken me awhile to catch on ( I'm slow that way), but on my job at the library, here at River's Edge and just generally everywhere in this town you can find a warmth of spirit here that makes for a great life.
There was a young man who came up to play, and when he sat in it just ended up being very monotonous, he wasn't a bad guitarist he just put too much of his life into one note. Anyway, the fellas didn't shoo him away, or make him feel bad or anything, they were just respectful. I thought that was very nice indeed.
It's a very tough job to be a musician, and younger folks reading this post need to remember this one thing...don't wear out your welcome !!! All of us know what this dream is like for you, but don't act like big stars, before you are. Open your ears and develop a sense of togetherness, that you can only get when your part of the ensemble as opposed to the ensemble itself. Notice when the crowd is getting restless and as they say leave 'em wanting more.

I've really enjoyed hanging out with the River's Edge crew, you put the fun in Funky.
Catch Jim Snyder and friends locally and regionally.
Catch drummer/vocalist Jupiter Little with our band, the Carpenter Ants everywhere else.
To Dean Braley, thank you for your nice words of encouragement. Enjoy.

Support Live Music today, tomorrow and always.

1 comment:

sara said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.