Thursday, June 23, 2005

Where Did Our Love Go...

Wednesday, Wednesday, Wednesday don't leave me. Ooooo please don't leave me, all by myself:
Just a little parody of the great song by Diana Ross and the Supremes...

Well, it seems that our regular show on the aforementioned night is all but shot through the heart. Last night almost scared me it was so empty (pun intened), we had one lady at the bar with a birthday, one man trying hard to ask her out, a couple of our regular cool crew , Ronnie, Sam and Ed ( our man at the door).
My Vickie came as did my neighbor Robin, and my pal Amy; it's always great when they're in the house.
Now let's talk about this shall we...
It's giving me a bit of a scare mainly because I don't want my guys to lose interest, nor to lose focus. Playing at the Empty Glass has always been fun, although it can at times be a challenge. Partly because, you know the saying, familiarity breeds contempt. People just plainly know us ( as a band) maybe a little too well, and I think that as a result, to some degree they feel that they don't need to see us every week,' the Carpenter Ants will always be there.'
Maybe there is some truth to that, but the truth is, for me, that I wouldn't want to take a chance on that reality because in a heartbeat that could change and through no fault of our own.
As huge a fan of NYPD Blue as I was/am, it's now gone, and despite the fact that there are many more stories to relate in New York then they could have written episodes for, my favorite show is now gone and the future landscape of television isn't looking too good to me.
So the same thing can happen with this music. Again, you need to understand that we aren't giving up but it makes it that much harder for us when no one is there.
The other side of this is we are resilient and we're also good at persevering . That says an awful lot about how much we believe in us and believe in what we can do. I have confidence in my bandmates, and in the people that follow us regularly, and really, I believe in my hometown.
So the cry is up, Charleston Charleston, where did our love go? And all of your promises, all the love forever more. I've got this burnin' yearnin', swirlin,' feelin' inside, deep inside me, that stings like a bee.
I've used this phrase before made popular by Larry Groce, and it bears repeating: "go out and catch some live music," but I'm going to insert this question before that statement..."where did our love go?"

No comments: