Monday, May 16, 2005

I'm Happy to be Here

During the course of writing these blog posts I'm sure that I may come across as a person who sees the world through rose colored glasses, or that I want something so desperately that I've sacrificed alot of things to make it come about, or even worse as a pompous annoying a**hole ( at least that's my take on it !).
I want to say right here and now that this is not my intention, nor is it my desire to annoy anyone. It is my desire to create dialogue among people, but dialogue that is meaningful to all involved.
When my band signed with a record company a few years ago, we were to say the least very hopeful of the outcome...to release our third CD. Like it or not, believe it or not everybody who is trying to make their life's work in music has this same struggle. If you were to look into the career paths of anyone that you like in the music business you'll find that it was filled with struggles; and some far greater than not having their music released to the public.
The concern that I have is more along the lines of frustration that for all the people that we've worked with or for that matter all the people that we know, why is it that no one has picked us up yet. There is really a twofold answer to that question: 1, is that we're in a market that makes it fairly difficult in which to get noticed , and 2, there are still things that we need to do to make ourselves more marketable; but believe me it's not like we aren't trying.
In the meantime, I need for you to know that for me personally, I am very happy to be here. I really am in situations that are meaningful and worthwhile to me. Working for the greatest library system in the state of West Virginia, having a second family in my co-workers, having a caring boss ( and former bosses) who constantly challenge and inspire you to be your best, and to awaken everyday and know that the work that I do matters to people is more gratifying and more satisfying than you can imagine...as much as playing music. In fact it's my alternative music.
There are alot of people in the world with all kinds of dreams...I'm just one of them, but I also am as realistic as possible, I know that for some people it may not be in the cards, although I'm optomistic and hopeful.
I found out today that more people are reading this than I thought, and that too is gratifying for me. As I said, my aim is to get people talking about the music industry and to share success stories as well as not so successful stories. By creating this dialogue maybe, just maybe those of us who are striving in it will have some clear cut ideas or thoughts on how not be standing in the shadows of music.

No comments: