Saturday, December 10, 2005

After The Bridge, Comes Joy

In music the bridge occurs when you connect a key section to another part of a song. It's usually the section that ties the song together and gives it some umph.
This bridge though is about poetry, in fact the poetry of one Sherry Pasquarello, a Pittsburgh PA native, and a wonderful spirit filled lady.
Now I don't ever claim to be any kind of authority on poetry prose or verse, but I do know what moves me and her stuff just affects me positively. I love stuff that makes me think twice.
Sherry tells me that she writes adult poetry, and at first I didn't quite get what that meant (OK, so my mind said something different...), but as I read on I realized that what she's saying is that her poetry is about life from her grownup standpoint. She has lived a very tried life and she shares those experiences by painting pictures as such that make no mistake at all invite you to experience it with her.
When I first read her work my immediate thought was that it reminds me of the great Sheryl Crow (if you have a copy of the CD "The Globe Sessions," listen to the song "Riverwide," and you'll get my meaning.).
My wife Vickie turned me on to Sheryl Crow, and her music opened me up to alot, well I had the exact same reaction to reading my first pieces of Sherry's work ( it moved me so much that I wrote her and told her).
It's not the complexity that affected me although that certainly is there but the simplicity; saying volumes with little.
When you're driving and you cross a bridge you know that your destination is that much closer and it fills you with anticipation (mostly), why is that ? It's that after the bridge, you know, comes joy.
If you're not sure what I mean, think about the bridges that you cross to get home. Think how you feel, and you'll see Sherry.

There is a link to her work on the right, in my link list. Click, read and enjoy.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always. Cross the bridge while you're out, and read some poetry forever.

7 comments:

The Pink Supervisor said...

Thats especially important in alot of funk stuff...

I read this, and I put on a Tower of Power album...

ps Charlie, comments now work... and ill blog a bit more soon. (and email you back)

Sherry Pasquarello said...

thank you again, so very much! you warm me. i hope that your friends like a bit of my works. i try to touch people, make them think. i write things that i think a lot of us have been thru or witnessed and hopefully learned from and became better. you are a special being charlie tee! blessings on you and yours.

Jen said...

Sherry,
Your stuff is really good. Thanks to our good friend, Charlie, I'm a fan of your blog now, too!!!!

Charlie,
Sorry I couldn't make it to the show on Saturday. Please forgive me! I promise that I will make it soon. Something unexpected came up. :( If you have an extra copy of the new Ants cd that I can buy, could you bring it to the library? I can swing by and pay for it. I'd love to get it!

Charlie Tee said...

Certainly...

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi jen, i am so glad you like my blog and i hope you will find time to pick a poem or two and just tell me what you think of it. you needn't know a darn thing about poetic forms and such. i write for people, not to impress other poets and writers, tho i am more than excited when i do. makes me feel valid i suppose, perhaps charlie feels the same when other musicians enjoy him and say he knows his stuff? truly tho, i write for people, just, us people and it pleases me and it helps me to read how someone views my poems. it is amazing how people take what i write, especially because most times i purposely leave my works open for thought and personalizations, and read things into them that surprise and delight me and give me new ideas for poems. thanks much! ; )

Charlie Tee said...

Sherry,I'll tell you what...your writing excites the hell out of me.Tee

Sherry Pasquarello said...

you are so kind. thanks much. i feel like i have accomplished something when a reader tells be my poems moved them in some way. i am proud of some of the things i've done in my life. i raised a wonderful daughter, i have a beautiful bright grandchild,wonderful and eclectic family and friends. i have tried to help people when the fates gave me the opportunity to do so, but my writing is me, it belongs to me and even the poems that aren't anything like me, they still carry my poetic DNA. they are still a fingerprint.