Monday, September 12, 2011

Four Hours to a New Me

For a few months now I've been on dialysis, and I've told you how it has been a life changer for me on a different levels.
I really needed to slow down with my life to some degree; I'm still striving with my music, and I still get up daily and go to work, but all these things have taken a decidedly different turn now that being tethered to a dialysizer has entered the picture.
If you know me at all you know that there is little in life that frightens me. People don't scare me, situations don't necessarily make me come undone; but the one true thing that horrifies me is hospitals.
Mainly because I don't understand that realm; when doctors and nurses start speaking to me in their seemingly coded language, I feel as though I have no control over my circumstance. This is one the reasons that especially now that my Vickie is gone, I really feel all alone.
She knew me inside and out. When I developed Diabetes, she studied it to the point that we made informed decisions about dealing with it (just in case you forgot, Vickie was an X-ray Tech by profession...).
The hospital world didn't seem so scary as long as she was with me.
Now I have to depend on myself (which I really needed to do anyway...), and try to make sense of the rest of my life.
Don't get me wrong, I do have help now, but mostly I've got take the bull by the horns and be my own advocate...it's a bit tricky.
My roommate and my daughter have given me great insights about how to go about all this and slowly I've made some good choices (at least I feel they are...).
The first was choosing a dialysis facility, and that first choice turned out to be the best.
I want to tell you about  Fresenius Medical Care Centers http://www.fmcna.com/. They are a nationwide facility of the highest quality.If you find yourself in my situation, this is the place to go.
The nurses and tech staff truly go above and beyond to make it the most positive experience for you. I've become friends with many of the folks at my facility, they have helped me to continue to be able to do my music, go to work, and just plain and simply live.
Everyone that I've encountered here has been more than professional, they have been kind and respectful of my circumstance. In short, I could not have asked for better people to treat, and care for me.
Whenever I or anybody walks in, they always greet you with genuine warmth and smiling faces.
Dialysis can be frightening enough when you feel bad as many people do, but it helps when the staff do their best to at least take that much off your shoulders.
So I just want to give a shout out to the staff at the Dunbar facility and say thank you so much for all that you are doing to keep me on the planet, and moreover to keep me smiling.It's four hours to a new me.

This post is dedicated to Tracy, Wendy, Patti, Tasha, Jill, Betty, Crystal, and Cheryl, the best team on Earth.

Even while on dialysis...Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

No comments: