Saturday, September 17, 2011

Social Media: reaching for the the right notes

I know that I'm getting older and the thoughts of technology scare me somewhat, but I really am trying to embrace it somewhat as well.
I've been blogging since 2005, and I have enjoyed doing this very much, but along with this I'm now trying to maintain a Twitter account and a Facebook account.
The whole social media thing has so many ups and downs, that it truly reminds me of the byline of this blog: "A journal for those trying their hardest to make a career in the music business, the ups and downs."
Part of what makes this social medium so fascinating is that you really can connect with so many folks who might not ever come your way otherwise, and you can create a loyal following.
The frustrating part of it is that you also meet many folks who should learn to leave their opinions at the door.
The bullies, who torment kids, the religious fanatics who feel theirs is the only way.Just the hate mongers in general are enough to make me gag.
Let's leave the negative folks behind for now and explore the many great ways this thing can work and see if we can create some positive energy while also seeing if I can create more of a following for myself as well as the Carpenter Ants.
First, if you haven't heard by now, The Ants have a new CD in the works called "Ants and Uncles." Look for it in stores and on http://www.cdbaby.com/ sometime around December of this year.
I really am proud of how far this band has come in our 25 years. I have learned alot from my time with them, including embracing the medium of social media.
I have been fortunate to travel as a musician and entertain many wonderful people over the years, and I've been able to stay in touch beyond the shows we've done. Connecting with people is a really good thing especially when they really dig what you do.
Now this whole notion of instant notification makes it even more intriguing, I can text from the road, with WIFI, I can e-mail in minutes as we're approaching. With blogging, I can tell you stories about what my world is like and so on.It as they say is all good.
All these things that were so difficult to do just a scant few years ago are now getting easier every minute of everyday...I've just got to bite the bullet, give up my fear and let social media help me to continue reaching for the right notes. I am going to get there, and I hope that you continue to join me.
While you're at it, send me any suggestions you have to make easier to learn these new things.
Anyway here's a start: you can follow me on Twitter: the link is on the right underneath the clock, also on Facebook. There are also some You Tube postings of The Carpenter Ants (one I really like is "Carpenter Ants at the Acoustic Coffee House 1 2 3 and 4," shot in Johnsonville Tennessee; what a fun and magical night that was...)
I will get proficient and post more pictures in all of these places so you keep up with my exploits.
In the meantime remember:
Support Live music today tomorrow and always

Have a wonderful weekend all my BFF's

6 comments:

World Bookmarking Blog said...

Essential post. As rose in all flower. Keep writings. Thanks.

World Bookmarking Shop said...

Beautiful. Disorb to appreciation.Thanks.

Great Article Submission said...

Good job. Wants more relevant post. Thanks.

First Article Surrender said...

After many days such article have read and really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Great Article Surrender said...

Hai. Beautiful work. Write frequently and be beloved of others.Thanks.

World Book Note said...

I like your post. Wordless comment. Thanks.