Monday, September 26, 2011

Old is the new, New

Was talking with a good friend of mine today, and he was relaying to me how difficult it's been for him to ply his music in his area. It seems as though availability of players is slim to none, and he can't seem to get anyone motivated enough to start a project.
All of that got me thinking as we were talking. I offered to come down to his area and lend my saxophone and vocals to him when I wasn't doing Carpenter Ants chores.
He stated that he doesn't mind doing the solo act, but he sort of had bigger dreams to do orchestral stuff. Believe me, he's got the voice and the stage presence to do it.
I on the other hand really feel that this music business is going to see a major swing back, and we'll all be in a good position to make our music.
Why do I feel this way?
Well for one thing, even though right now, the music industry is flooded by all the hip shaking no real talent ( not everyone of course...), party all night, throw up, paparazzi chased, doped out (got enough adjectives here?), crowd, all of those youngsters who are currently in our conciousness are looking backward and realizing that they need the music that we were doing first.
I heard on the radio the other day, Celine Dion singing a cover of the Aretha Franklin inspired Carol King penned version of "Natural Woman." Now don't get me wrong, Celine does have an admirable voice; in fact she can sing, but I'm sorry,and you can argue the point all you'd like, but she will NEVER (that's right...) NEVER be Aretha Franklin. The changes in the original version are perfect, especially where the strings cross over into the bridge section of the song...listen carefully, I'll spell it out. "Oh baby what you done for me, you make me feel so good inside, and I just wanna be, close to you, you make me feel so alive...If Celine would have had Yanni's orchestra, she still could not have pulled it off. The string section used in Aretha's version was unreal it was so good, yet it was simple.
Celine's version pales by comparison.
You see what I was telling my friend is that what we all need to do is just hold on because everything old is the new, new.
Let me clear here; what I'm saying is that all of the music that our younger folks are now realizing is valid is all of the music that we grew up doing first hand. You can even go so far as to say that some of that music was created by us. Certainly it is in our era. Just the Celine example alone proves my point. Many of today's top selling artists are reaching an impass and they are clamoring to find out about the music that we created, and trying to figure out how we did it so flawlessly.
I've said before and I'll say it again, to my younger friends, you must build your buildings from the ground up. It is impossible to build a building from the 23rd floor.This is the real reason so many artists don't last long, they don't have the foundation that we have...Rolliing Stones anyone?
In all, I really wish that we all could ply our trade and make music more readily available for the masses, because everybody needs it, young, old and everyone in between.
The message in the meantime though is hold on and stand up straight, the music will come back. because old is the new, new.
To Darrell and all of you my friends, thanks for stopping by, have a great week.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.
Don't forget, you can follow me on Twitter and follow The Carpenter Ants on Facebook

15 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

you are so very right!

Global Bookmark Today said...

Nice article. Unique thinking. Thanks.

First Article Compliance said...

Very enjoyable post. I like it. Looking for more. Thanks.

Better Article Submission said...

Nice work. I appreciate it. Looking for such useful future works. Thanks.

Islam Forum Blog said...

Significant article. Keep going for another. Thanks.

Directory Surrender said...

Nice blog post. Deserving of appreciation. Thanks.

News Link said...

Commendable work. Looking for updates.

Tawheed Procation said...

Such works demands admiration. Thanks.

Global Directory Submission said...

Varity of post should encompass the blog. Good work. Thanks.

World Book Message said...

Beautiful piece of work. Go ahead. Thanks.

The World Bookmarking said...

Eligible work. Worthy of applause. Thanks.

World Bookmarking Store said...

Wonderful work. Watching for future post.

New World Bookmarking said...

The New World Bookmarking site is a largest bookmark site. Anybody can be use this social bookmark site for bookmarking there website. This Is SEO helping site. So you can use this site for SEO your website.

My World Bookmarking said...

The My World Bookmarking site is a largest bookmark site. Anybody can be use this social bookmark site for bookmarking there website. This Is SEO helping site. So you can use this site for SEO your website.

World Bookmarking Site said...

The World Bookmarking Site, site is a largest bookmark site. Anybody can be use this social bookmark site for bookmarking there website. This Is SEO helping site. So you can use this site for SEO your website.