Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Most Disturbing Trend

I want to address something that has been happening far too much in my community of late, and shed some much needed light on it...

Living here in West Virginia and more specifically in the Kanawha Valley has been one of the best moves I could have ever made for myself. When I left New York, it wasn't because I didn't love it, it was that it was increasingly becoming far too violent for me to continue living there.
One night after working my rear end off in a studio after having worked my regular job earlier that day, I was returning home when I got robbed directly around the corner from my house. I got robbed at gunpoint (yes,you read that right...)
Well that was all that I needed to convince me that it was time to leave New York City. But where do I go? Crime, seemingly was everywhere, but I needed and wanted to live peacefully. I got no qualms about working, but I didn't want to go somewhere and have to surrender what I've worked my ass off to get.
I chose Charleston West Virginia...why? Because when I lived here during my college days I found Charleston and its people to be among the best people I had ever known. Truly, salt of the earth kind of folks. People who will give you the shirt off their backs if you need it.
I'm still not sorry that I'm here, but now I'm hearing horrible and horrific stories of my sisters getting mugged and harmed right here in Charleston, and it bothers me to no end.
Charleston you are better than this, we're not New York, we're not these other poorly governed and atrocious places. How can we let ourselves get to this? I know that the economy is bad throughout the county, but even with that looming over us, we are West Virginians, and we are better than that.
I am appalled to know that some female friends of mine had to not only endure being humiliated, but also were harmed in the process to the point of hospitalization
. That is goddamned disturbing to me.
Charleston West Virginia, I want to ask in the name of everything decent, please don't do this to our sisters. Don't do it to anyone, but especially to the women. As it says in the Pointer Sisters song, "Yes We Can Can," "and do respect the women of the world, remember you all have mothers..."Before you lay hands on another person, think carefully about what this, a most disturbing trend is doing for us as a community, it's giving us a black eye, and it is comparing us to the other nastier seemier cities.
Please tell me that this is not what we want for ourselves.
To the ladies who had to endure these horrific acts ( I won't mention your names to keep your anonymity...), please know from me how sorry I am for what you have endured. If there is any way that I can help you through this please contact me.
Sincerely, Charlie Tee

9 comments:

Universal Bookmark said...

Very enjoyable post. I like it. Looking for more. Thanks.

World Wide Place Holder said...

Nice work. I appreciate it. Looking for such useful future works. Thanks.

Universal Place Holder said...

Good post. Keep going and be useful for others. Thanks.

World Bookmarking Today said...

Hai. Beautiful work. Write frequently and be beloved of others.Thanks.

International Place Holder said...

After many days such article have read and really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Global Place Holder said...

Good job. Wants more relevant post. Thanks.

Universal Place Holder said...

Good post. Keep going and be useful for others. Thanks.

World Wide Place Holder said...

Nice work. I appreciate it. Looking for such useful future works. Thanks.

Universal Bookmark said...

Very enjoyable post. I like it. Looking for more. Thanks.