Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Season To Taste

Judging by my size one can easily see that I am a fan of food. Now that I am a dialysis patient, I can easily see that my food obsession has cost me.
All things considered, I am OK with my current status as it has begun to teach me some valuable life lessons.
One of the things that I've learned is that I need to slow down when I eat, I should savor my food thereby allowing me not eat as much (or as often...). The other thing is when I create my menu, I need to season to taste, meaning I can find things in my kitchen pantry that will enhance my flavors.
The last thing is to relax and enjoy my food, not scarf it down as though it were my last meal...you'll get the point of all of these metaphors.
Anyway, musically I've come to realize alot of the same things.
Here now, the news.
We, (The Carpenter Ants...) have been recording our new CD over the past month or so, and I've come to humorous realizations (at least in my mind...).
One of those is that my bandmates although very talented are terrified when it comes to having to sing in front of people in a studio setting. Yesterday I was at Michael Lipton's house where our producer Don Dixon has set up shop for us to do some touches to the CD, and the guys were working on parts to the vocals. I watched Michael, Ted Harrison (our bassist) and Jupiter Little (our drummer and my co lead vocalist) as they were doing some of the background parts.
It was especially poignant to watch Teddy, who rarely sings on stage with us, but has in my opinion one of best ears in my musical world. He was like a deer in the headlights. It seemed to me as though he were having a hard time trying to relax.
Now please don't get me wrong here, what we are doing in this process is very important and my guys as well as I, realize that time and money is always of the essence,so we can't play around (we don't have that luxury...), but we must season to taste.
By savoring our moments taking a tip from from our "musical chefs" as it were, the end product will be a pleaser for your mind along with your ears
I've tried to impart some of my wisdom as a singer on to my brothers such as sing from your stomach and not from your chest because it will help you one to relax and sing without too much effort.
Another is when your in front of the microphone take one part of the headphones off of your ears, thereby allowing you to hear your own voice more natually and not in conjunction with what you are recording.
In all though, I am very proud to tell you that sometime around Christmas our newest CD will be available for you and the title is "Ants and Uncles."On the new CD, you are going to find many wonderful songs as well as some of our very special guest Ants like Bill Kirchen (of Hot Rod Lincoln fame..).We have written a a few new songs too, so look for those on it.
Going back to the beginning of this post, you see the lessons I've learned from dialysis. I said in a recent post that this process is a different deal for a guy like me. One can think oh my, poor Charlie is a dialysis patient and have pity, but truly there is no need. I am really Ok with it. For one thing it has slowed me down, as I needed to do so, and 2, it is saving my life, and obviously without that there would be no music. I'm using my kithcen better and my bandmates are making out music better, because we're all learning together to season to taste.
Take care everybody, I'll keep you posted on the CD progress, and remember...

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.
By the way, thank you so much to everyone who sent me e-mails after my last post. I'm healing.

1 comment:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i'm so glad to hear you are doing well and that a new cd is in the works!

love ya
sherry