Friday, March 18, 2005

Carpenter Ants 0- Life 22 (Wednesday)

I have this fantasy...I'm playing with the Yankees against Boston (our arch-enemy) and we're beating them mercilessly and the Bronx is just going wild with excitement. I usually produce this fantasy whenever I need to pull out a great performance ( say what you want, but it's better than drugs!)
How in the hell does this relate to music you ask?
Well, for me at least I feel about this band the way I feel about the Yankees; even when we're in a slump Michael,Ted and Jupie never cease to excite me, and spur me. For me, listening to Mike do a solo is like watching Derek Jeter create a double play, when Ted responds to him it's like Jorge Posada in the mix of that play defending home plate, and Jupie keeps the momentum going ala Gary Sheffield.
But alas, every now and again the Yanks hit the skids completely ( need I remind you of the '04 season against Boston, or even worse may I remind you of the game against Cleveland!!!). Wednesday was that type of day; from start to finish it was long and arduous. At work the day ground on like a game without a rally of any kind, topped off by my co-worker Pam falling and getting hurt. That night at the club there were a scarce amount of people and we couldn't seem to bring out any emotion in them. Mistakes were everywhere, all four of us made them, the vibe of the audience which had now swelled to 15 ( a sellout...) was blase' at best.
I know that a big part of that day for me at least had to do with my friend Paul losing his job, and my wife Vickie not feeling well, and my co-worker Peggy not being at work due to hurting her leg. My boss Toni generally sets the tone for my day and starts my day off positively ( I simply adore this woman as well as adoring the rest of my co-workers...all the equivalent of Joe Torre) so by the time I'm somewhere in my music environ I'm ready to rock. Even if the crowd isn't quite with me, having been in the positive vibe of my co-workers all day and then being in the positive vibe of the band at rehearsal... WATCH OUT WORLD !!!
That night at the club I tried and I tried but I just couldn't find that spark in me to ignite a fire under the band.
Now I'm smart enough to know that everybody has days like this, but since this is ever optomistic, obssessing ME, let's just hope that there won't be too many of these kind of days. I can't handle the Yankees losing to Boston too much.

No comments: