Thursday, March 24, 2005

Standing On Their Shoulders

While I'm thinking about this, I want to say something about mentoring... and yes this relates to my music.
Two years ago on a Sunday, I was at work at my library and in walks a young lady who probably changed my mind about the aspect of being a mentor to someone.
For a long time in my life I've foolishly felt that being a mentor was too "unhip" ( I can't believe that I'm saying this publicly...) .
I felt this way because so many people who are in this situation get exploited for the wrong reasons (on both sides of the coin) But as I've said, now and again things happen in ones life that make you truly rethink some things. For me that something was in the form of Lee Dora Wokpara ( remember that name if you're into truly GREAT singers.)
At the time Lee Dora was a high school student at St Albans High School ( which also made me think: short attention span...ohhhh was I ever wrong!) , she happened into the library to do an assignment about the career that you would like, so my typical question was, so what do you want to do when you get older? ,To which she said that she was a singer ( read that carefully, she IS, a singer) Okay, says ever suspicious me sing something. When she opened her mouth, I'm certain that I looked like I had seen Allah(GOD) in person. Her voice literally knocked me off of my feet and my mouth probably hit the floor.
Needless to say her fearlessness got my attention followed by those wonderful sounds I was hearing emanating from this young voice. The command, the control, the polish. Oh my God, I'll never be able to tell you how it made me feel. Right away I saw STAR potential.
As I've gotten to know Lee Dora, I've come to know a beautiful young lady inside and out, who is madly in love with and respectful of her Mother, who has a strong sense of herself ( for the right reasons), who has the courage of her conviction, and someone who is just a good soul.PERIOD.
To best of my ability I am going to do all I can to help her get a career in this business.Why, because if anyone in the world deserves to be a famous singer it's Lee Dora Wokpara ( again, remember that name), her voice is that good.
I once heard a line about people helping people, it went something like: "we are all standing on the shoulders of our ancestors, as we pick up the next person , we can see that much farther toward the future." Well, to Ms Lee Dora, my shoulders are here, just climb up the ladder to the top, the sky is yours, as well as the future.
By the way, I'm still struggling with the whole notion of mentoring, but every time I see how well that she's doing and and how hard she's trying, I'm moving toward her, to help guide her because I don't want the world to miss out on this wonderful humble young lady.

To Lee Dora, if you ever get around to reading this, I want you to know that I think that you are great, and I am grateful to know you and your family. You too are one of the reasons that I get out bed each day and struggle with life to try to make it.
To have more human beings like you makes the rise easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I read this and it took my breath away. You know I could not even remember what day or reason why I came into the library. I am so speechless. My mother read this blog and said that is so beautiful. Thnak you, thank you for having to much faith in me, thank you for being there for me and thank you for loving me. I love you for everything.
Love,
Lee-Dorah Wokpara