Saturday, March 12, 2005

Where We Gonna Go From Here?

All of my life I have dreamed and dreamed of playing music. At times it has even gotten me into trouble at work and in my relationships.
You see I am one of those people who believe that in order to get somewhere with your dreams you have to work constantly at it; therefore things that need to be taken care of don't always fall into that category; like lawns and homes and family etc. so I find myself at a strange crossroad.
I'm the lead vocalist and saxophonist in a band in West Virginia of all places and for the first time in my life I really feel like we can achieve our goals and become players in this game of the music business.
There's just one problem...that right person hasn't heard us. Now who that right person happens to be I have no earthly idea but I know that they're out there somewhere.
Over the past year we had the great opportunity to be a part of what I thought would be history
(you can define that any way that you'd like...) we were involved in the failed campaign of Senator John Kerry.We met and went on the road with the Reverend Jesse Jackson, UMW President Cecil Roberts, played in front of audiences of thousands which included the likes of Senator Ted Kennedy and the now Governor of West Virginia Joe Manchin, but here we are in little old Charleston WV still waiting for that real break, running out of money, running low on patience, and just maybe running out of time.
About 2 years ago we recorded our 3rd CD, it was produced by industry veteran Don Dixon who really believes in us, and not too terribly long after that we got signed to a fledgling record label Gaff Music ( maybe I should really say "fudging") , and here we are almost 3 years later with a CD in the can all dressed up and nowhere to go.
I'd like to think that of all the the folks that have heard us in the 12 years I've been in the band ( the band has been together for almost 20 years...amazing ain't it?) someone truly liked what they've heard. In 1995 and '96 we went to Russia to play and just prior to the day we left to go the second time our first CD was released under our own label. Well, we made enough money from sales of the CD the first night to pay back the person who loaned the money to make the CD...a true fan indeed. There are hundreds of our CD floating around in this country but we're still here waiting...and waiting.
I also guess that I'm just frustrated because we're sacrificing so much to try to make this thing happen and it's seems to be slowly sliding away.
We're not giving up but we're also not getting any younger.
When I was in college I thought that I was fairly popular but since I've graduated I've found out just how popular...I can't rub 2 sticks together to get my fellow alumni to come and hear us but I was certainly there for many of them and so was my family, just ask Denzel Washington if he remembers my father James Tuitt from the Boys Club or Judge Judy if she remembers my mother Carmen L. Tuitt from the Bronx District Attorney's office, or the IRS if they remember Caroleigh C.Tuitt-Caster (my sister) who was one of the authors of the Disclosure Law. My family are all deceased and trying to help me from Heaven.
I know that I sound really angry but truly I'm not, I'm sure that one may read this and think that I'm cynical, but I'm not; what I am is very hopeful with just a tinge of disappointment to keep me spicy enough to keep trying.To keep the hammer in my hand to try and crack the rock in my path, but on the way I just want to know where are gonna go from here?

No comments: