Sunday, March 13, 2005

Round 2.. About.the band, and vicinity.

I failed yesterday to tell you about some of the people that you'll be reading about in my journal. Also,when I become a little more proficient and confident doing this I'll add some photos so you can see who the heck you're dealing with (smile...)
To start off let me tell you about my bandmates (and my best friends) The Carpenter Ants
1.Michael Lipton is our guitarist and de-facto leader. Formerly he was the editor of a monthly entertainment mag called "Grafitti." He presently is in the process of creating the "West Virginia Music Hall of Fame."He also is the house guitarist for our internationally syndicated radio program "Public Radio's Mountain Stage." This show is hosted by Larry Groce of "Junk Food Junkie" fame...(Larry also sits in with us occasionally).
Michael (he'll dispute this) in my opinion is a true genius, I just plain and simply admire him, it seems that whatever he puts his mind on bears fruit.He's gotten us into situations musically that starting out I questioned but in the end realized would be absolutely wonderful.For Mike the phrase should always read "it's not a job, it's an adventure."
2. Ted Harrison, is our bassist, and truly one of the nicest people I've ever known, in every sense of the word.He'd give you the shirt off his back, if you really needed it.
Ted works regularly for the phone company, it drives him crazy but he's hung in there for more than 20 years.He ain't a bad bass player either ( can't wait for you to hear him).
3.James "Jupiter" Little our drummer and my co lead vocalist.If the nickname hasn't helped figure him out...yes, he is our wild child.Jupie just loves to have fun, and he is the quickest wit I've ever encountered.
Michael wrote songs about each of us ( me,Ted and Jupie) for our upcoming (when, I don't know...) 3rd CD.On Jupie's song he noted that "even his mama couldn't keep him down."
Anyway, that's a short bio on the band, after this when you read about folks you'll get some background at that point...now it's time to move forward a bit.
Tonight we're playing at the,Empty Glass here in Charleston. It's our "Mountain Stage Jam,"we host a post MS show at the club and oftentimes people who have been on the show come and hang out and play in a somewhat intimate setting.We've had a great many artists join in the fun; people like Taj Mahal, Bruce Hornsby, Bill Kirchen and Kevin Coyne to name a few.
I said yesterday that the right person hasn't heard us, the person who'd add us to their career, and get ours moving forward in this business. We have worked with an army of well known people in the music industry but for some reason we haven't been discovered and that just baffles me a little. I know about musicians and their worldclass egos but I had always hoped that that was more myth than truth but I'm beginning to wonder.
Well, log in tomorrow and I'll tell you about tonights show.
Remember please that this is a journal for those who are trying to make it in music. Maybe by sharing our stories we can figure this out together. Peace be upon you.

No comments: