Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Day That Music Married the Radio

In the days of A.M.radio (if you have to ask, trust me, you're too young...) I used to have one glued to my ear, and we always had one on playing in our house.My parents absolutely loved music, and believe me, it rubbed off and then some.
Anyway, I used to imitate all the hip DJ's, from "Murry the K," and "Eddie O'Jay," to "Cousin Brucie," in New York. I had all of their jargon and jive down pat, and as a musician I came to learn the power that these radio folks had. I also came to realize, that for them, it wasn't about race or even gender; it was about the power to bring people together, and I really appreciated it...and I still do.
During the trying times of our lives DJ's have stood with us when we couldn't stand for ourselves.During the great periods they were also there to cheer us on and make us feel special.
I'm writing about this because I just want to say thank you to all of those people who make their living enthralling, educating,and entertaining us.Who have been on the longest of trips and kept us company with a song in their hearts, and smiles on their lips.
On Friday here in Charleston, I was moved to tears by our local DJ's on a station that has now become my home in my car, V-100 FM. They among others did a live broadcast from the Charleston Town Center Mall, to bring attention to St.Jude's Hospital and the work that those wonderful people are doing to end serious illnesses for children.
Jeanne K, one of the discjockeys began to tell a story about her cousin whose leg had to be amputated because he contracted a rare form of Cancer.She went on to say how terrible she felt at the thought of having to see him this way, and she began to cry in earnest.
It touched me so much, that I cried as if I knew him as well, and I have never been more proud to be a radio listener than I was then.
I'm ashamed that I can't afford to send a check to help out, but if there is any other way for me to do my part, I am more than willing.
I am blessed with healthy and happy children, and grandchildren, and I am more blessed to know that I live in a community such as this where we know our local radio personalities, and know that even in this hectic, myopic, whirlwind of a world that we call today that there still exists people who give a damn.
Let me tell you, the day that music married the radio was a wonderful day.

This post is dedicated to the spirits of the legendary DJ's of yesterday who have been reincarnated in people like Jeanne K, Ric Cochran, Steve and Jenny, and all of the discjockeys at V-100 FM.
For more info on this station click here V100.fm

Support Live music today tomorrow and always...and keep this marriage sacred.

2 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

i had a small transistor radio in a leather case with the round dial and am radio was king! oh the nights i had it under the covers glued to my ear, trying to move around to get better reception to listen to music after i should have been asleep and the days i carried it with me listening as i walked to and from my home!

Jen said...

I'd also like to thank radio djs for making my work day enjoyable and giving my life a "soundtrack". They not only play the music that we love, but they are people with large hearts who care about the community. I'd also like to thank my very close friends who are djs ---- Coach and Lib - two great djs and even better friends!!!)