Thursday, February 16, 2006

Like a River Running Through It...Sara Sue Wright

One of the things that gave me endless facsination about my Mother was her eloquence, and as a result, in my life I've always been moved by people like her.
I have been very fortunate to have met such a woman in the form of my former boss and dear friend Sara Sue Wright.
When I worked at the Charleston Library, Sara Sue was the head of our Reference Dept. and on many occasions she and I worked together, and I learned volumes about the library business, as well as how to become proficient at my job.
I always loved to talk with her about being a librarian, and the many wonderful facets of this work.She has such pride in what she does that it rubbed off on me tenfold. At some point I began to consider a career in the library business, and when I expressed a desire she not only was overjoyed for me, but also began teaching me the ins and outs of the library world.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to swing going to Library school and getting a Masters degree (funds are low, debt is high...), but Sara Sue still helped to groom me for the jobs which I subsequently moved on to, including now being a Supervisor.
Through it all, she and I have remained friends and she will always be an inspiration.
Well the time has come for her to relax and enjoy her life, as she is about to retire. Her wonderful husband Zeb will have her all to himself, and I have to say that I'm almost jealous.
Truth is though, I couldn't be happier for her, she has given so much to the community in so many ways and we have all benefitted from her eloquence.
Once while giving her a ride home, she and I were talking about our lives and I asked her how she came to settle in Charleston West Virginia, and she told me that having grown up in Nashville Tennessee, "I' ve always been partial to places where there is a river, just something about it keeps me grounded she said," In the years that I've come to know her I vicariously understand why...rivers give way to oceans, rivers also are a source of strength and power, a life giving force; electricity can be generated through the use of mighty rivers, and if you know this magnificent woman, the things that that we've learned from her have given us strength and power, to create our electricity in the way of knowledge, and like a river running through it, isn't knowledge power ?
Sara Sue, I want to thank you for gracing my life, and I wish you the best that you very much deserve. You leave us, but don't forget us, keep in touch...always.

ps. just to show how much she is beloved by my family, my son Marty named our cat after her.

This post is also dedicated to her wonderful family who have stood with her; Dr. Zeb Wright and Colin Wright, and family.
This post is further dedicated to the staff of our Reference Dept, some of the greatest minds anywhere...

Support Live music today tomorrow and always...retire and relax.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Finding a job that you LOVE is great. I share that same blessing. I also share the blessing of having wonderful mentors to help shape and mold me and my career.

It is great to have people around you who want to invest in your career and life. :)

Best wishes to Sara Sue and her retirement and best wishes to you in your career! :)