Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Lifting Up Spirits

So far my vacation has been wonderful, restful, and enlightening, but tonight I went to the Empty Glass and the bar was raised, it was truly spiritual.
On the stage was Spurgie Hankins and friends, and believe me it was like church (...and I'm not even Christian).Anticipation was very high as people in the audience waited for good while for the show to start, but baby when it did that place came to life in a big way.I've never seen so many people spinning around in Dervish like trances, the whole floor just swayed with the pulsations similar to my heart beat.
The one thing that I absolutely adore about playing with Spurgie's band is that I feel so free, he just lets you figure it out for yourself, which is really good for me sometimes, although admittedly, I love the way Michael Lipton pushes me as well in the Carpenter Ants. Either way, I'm in Heaven playing music with these people, it's especially challenging and fun at the same time.
Spurgie has a way with music that is truly unique, he writes from the view of the 3rd person, but with a point of view of the person actually going through the things he talks about (I know how weird that sounds...). In other words, he has the ability to leave himself out of a situation. It's almost as if he were sitting in a window watching a situation transpire, then giving a statement about it from his vantage point (see what I mean ?).
It makes for some very interesting music, and I love it because it really makes you think hard trying to interpret it when you accompany him.
I also want to mention that his band is really great, they've all figured it out as a group and are taking their music to the heights. Kevin Kidd (the bassist) is one my best friends and he already knows how much I dig him, but I'm now getting to know their percussionist TJ King as well, and that young man just moves my soul.He, as they say, got it going on...
This week guitarist Eric Dye subbed for John Compton (Spurgie's regular guitar player), and Eric and I played well together not stepping on each other ( which I can tend to do easily), and it was nice to play with him again.
My drummer Jupiter Little sits in with Spurgie on most Tuesday's and he brings a great dimension to them as well. Jupie is it for me as far as drummers. He just makes situations fun ...PERIOD.
I had promised Vickie that I wouldn't be home too late, but I am on vacation, and it is Spurgie, so I thought, I'll forgo my promise this once, and I hung out til 3am. When I awakened the next morning, Vickie took one look at the joy on my face and didn't even fuss...she loves Spurgie too, so she knows what it's like from my standpoint.
In all the gig was wonderful, and I really miss playing with them on a regular basis, but I don't feel too bad, because somewhere in this town, I know that Spurgie and his band are doing what I dream of; using their music and lifting up spirits from the dramas of the world.
By the way, how is your spirit, are you feeling down, or even happy for that matter ? Well, whatever you're feeling...
.
Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»