Saturday, March 18, 2006

Whew, what a week...

Well, I made it, rest and relaxation at last...no I'm not hanging out with Elmer Fudd, but my vacation started at 5pm yesterday, and it was the culmination of a grueling but great week.
This week I had a huge surprise, and from there everyday got endlessly better.
First, let me tell you of something sort of negative that happened a short time ago, but was rectified this week. In the latter part of October last year my Uncle John passed away unexpectedly, and my cousin Patricia called to inform me of it, then she was going to Barbados to receive my Uncle's remains and bring him home to Brooklyn to be buried.She was supposed to inform me of the date and time when she returned to New York, but instead, she had the funeral and reception without even calling me, so I missed it. To say the very least I was angry about this, he was my Father's brother and I should have been there.
Admittedly, I didn't always understand my Uncle Johnny, but none the less I loved him dearly, so I was pretty hurt by all of that .
Anyway, fast forward to this week...Tuesday evening my wife calls me at work and says that there is an envelope addressed to me from Brooklyn
( I knew that it was from Patricia). When I get home and open it, out pops a picture taken in 1963 of my Father, Grandfather ( the original Charlie T)(notice the spelling there ?), and my Uncle John.
I just sat there and cried uncontrollably; three of the 6 men that I admire most in this world (aside from my other Grandfather, and my other 2 Uncles).
My week was about to get worlds better...
Wednesday night, show up for rehearsal at Michael's house and who's sitting there, none other than Steve Ferguson. He'd just arrived in town from Boston (I won't hold that against him) after recording with his buddy the great keyboardist Terry Anderson (of NRBQ fame). Steve was just as excited to see us as we were him, so later that night at the Empty Glass it was a great show, and everybody played really well.
Now Friday comes and it was St Patrick's Day, and we were invited to play a party at our good friend Fmr State Senator John Mitchell's home.
Here is a man who is as down to earth as one can be and be in the public eye.John and his beautiful wife Lee don't just throw a party...people, these folks throw a PARTY !!! There was enough food at this thing to feed a small army, and the frivolity was on high.
We've never done anything quite like this before, so it was a wonderful experience for us all.
Today we were up early to play a concert / Chili Cook Off, which was in part, a fundraiser for the Susan B.Comen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research, and that is something that is close to my heart, as I lost my Mother to breast cancer, so my day was spent in thoughts of her.It was freezing cold outside, and normally, those that know me, know how much I can't stand the cold (I tend to become very cranky), but today was just different, and through all that cold we played really well, had loads of laughs, and I just further bonded with my band mates, as hour after hour during our show people kept coming to us offering us their business cards and wanting us to play for their upcoming functions.
I could not have been more proud today.
Then, finally arrive home and my son Marty is here, and I'm soooo glad to see him, he is doing very well in college, and I am proud of him for never giving up and plugging away.Then my daughter calls and tells me that she saved a woman's life today by performing CPR on her when she stop breathing.Kendra is studying Nursing and will be graduating in a month, and Dad is proud beyond belief !!
Tomorrow, starting around 4pm the Carpenter Ants will be doing a benefit to help out fellow musician Robert Shafer's family whose home was destroyed by fire less than a month after moving in there.
It's good to be of help to those in need and it's even greater to know that what we do as musicians can be of service to people in need.
Tomorrow night our post Mountain Stage jam at the Empty Glass, and it's anyones guess who will show up for that...I'm pumped.
All I can say is whew, what a week this has been, and after all of that, I'm now officially on 2 weeks vacation...it does not get any better than this.

I've been kinda on the whiny side lately, but truly, I'm happy, I'm content, and I'm grateful to be where I am.Allah has blessed me abundantly, and all praise is due to Him.

This post is dedicated to my son Marty Adams, and my daughter Kendra Dunham, 2 of Allah's brightest lights and people who put music in my life. Their love makes my heart hear a symphony.

Support Live music today tomorrow and always...and always tell your family that you love them.

2 comments:

Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh charlie! what a wonderful week!
you are truly blessed. enjoy! : )

Jen said...

I'm glad you had a great week! :) Enjoy your vacation!