Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Perfect Balance

During the latter part of the 80's while living in New York, I met some characters the likes of which could make for great television drama, or comedy, depending on your point of view...(more about them in a minute).
My reason for writing about this, is that last night I had an experience, that I've actually had before, and I didn't like it then, and it brought back a host of bad memories for me of that period in the 80's.
I got a phone call from my drummer Jupiter Little to come and hang out and play some music with some friends of ours at a spot here in St Albans.
First problem: when I arrived there Jupie wasn't playing the drums, he was playing percussion, and this situation needed a drummer in the worst way.Next, it was so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think, let alone try to think of something credible to play to contribute. I couldn't quite believe that Jupie was subjecting himself to this, but to his credit Jupie is the kind of person normally, that can make a bad situation better, but even he couldn't salvage this.
What these guys needed was an objective lesson in creating a band...perfect balance, rather than abject noisiness. The sad part for me is that I like these guys a whole lot...individually, and would pretty much play music with any of them on their own merits, so it makes what I'm saying hard.
I am in no way an authority on music, but I can say that I've played in all kinds of situations that lead me to feel strongly about knowing what works and what doesn't...but remember, this is my opinion, and it's just that , an opinion. It certainly doesn't mean that I'm right about it.
The problem that I had in New York was that the young lady who was the band leader was a poor choice at best to lead a band or for that matter even play music.The truth was, she was terrible at it, and the fact that she was pretty wealthy didn't help her become any better. She had the money to go out buy the most expensive guitars (and she had alot of them...) stacks of amps and equipment, but no understanding of people enough to front a band.The guys that played with her liked her as a person, but hated playing with her, yet they agreed to it.
At some point when I got in the band we went into a recording studio to make a record. I went later that day because I had to work.When I arrived, the poor guy engineering the thing was at his wits end dealing with her. An example of what went on, was her wanting to add animal sounds to the mix...you read it first !
Needless to say, playing with Rakatan (there, I said it...) was definitely not the experience that was going to put me in the big time, so politely, I bowed out vowing to never let myself get that wrapped up again.
Fast forward to last night, it was that experience all over again, as I searched my soul for a way out, but I left finally and was quite crushed about the way that I was feeling, enough so, that I cried about it for awhile.
If you've seen the recent commercial on TV for this Insurance company,Geico, you'll relate to my next statement.In this commercial we find a group of fellas trying to establish a band, when the lead singer suddenly stops and says...ah this just isn't gonna work out, referring to the young man who just finishes ripping of some blazing solo on the guitar.Next you hear some guitar off in the distance...it's the Zorro-like guitar player,Esteban (you know, from the Home Shopping Network).
Esteban says," many young people long to express themselves with the gift of music." Next the guys are asking if he is going to give Duane ( the flashy guitarist) some lessons, and of course Esteban says "no, but I just saved a bundle on car insurance.
If that were me, I would pulled out a gun and killed myself on the spot.That would have crushed me more.
The reality is, that like it or not the music business is just not for everyone, but the only advice I would truly give to these guys is that if you're really really passionate about being in this game, learn about the perfect balance.
I am in no way better than any of them, but I won't play music just for the hell of it. I take my time on any stage that you see me perform on very seriously. I'd rather play to one drunken person in the audience than to play in front of thousands and sound bad. The perfect balance comes when you get to know your band mates, and you can anticipate their play, when you can read each other and fuel each other.
I'm proud of that fact with the Carpenter Ants, with Spurgie Hankins, Jim Snyder, Stratus, Darrell Ramsey and County Line, and just about every other situation that I've been involved in. I got to know the people in those situations as people, and I've understood my role in each of these circumstances.
To my friends, I will say, don't give up, but be honest about where you are in the scheme of things and redefine yourself as a group, and hire a soundman that knows you and can give the necessary tools to start off with...a good sound.That is part of the perfect balance, grasshopper.

I don't want you to think that I'm kidding about the bad experience with the band in New York.If you do a Google search under "Charles Tuitt + Rakatan," you should be able to find one of the records that I did with them. The Young lady who fronted the band is Melanie Ray. It's really horrible, but it's out there somewhere gathering a whole lot of dust...I hope, I hope, I hope.
She even coerced Noel Redding, and Mick Taylor (of Jimi Hendrix fame) to record with us...yikes !!

Support Live music today tomorrow and always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»